Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: A new bike problem  (Read 4257 times)

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Toowoomba
A new bike problem
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:28:58 am »
Hi,
I have had a few problems with the bike stalling out, bike cutting out when at a stop, zero throttle, bike warm.
aka the posts on the TPS thread.

2 emails to Triumph Australia and a telephone conversation with a helpful gent from Triumph Australia yesterday.

Late yesterday I plugged the Dealer Tool, that I just received and there were no error codes.
Though I wouldn't touch anything until a dealer can download all the data.

Problem being the local dealer really can't do anything until the end of the month  :233:
(not his fault my bike has a fault), just a bit grumpy that the original bike shop didn't pick up on it.

Travelling2bob has just shown up after having the centre stand recall done at the dealer.
He took one listen to the motor and it's sucking air somewhere, and the bike is idling running like a V-twin when warm.

Hooked up the Dealer Tool, Travelling2bob my witness and the MAP values are way out, esp on the centre cylinder.
In the process now of stripping out the plastics to gain access to the throttle bodies, manifold, etc etc.
The balance of the air bypass of the throttle bodies is way out also, most likely due to the "SUCKING AIR"

And email from DT (Dealer Tools) late yesterday suggested:
But it sounds like you may have bigger problems than that - perhaps a pipe has come off under the air box or an air-leak somewhere.

Going to see if there is anything obvious, clean out the air filter as well I suppose.

A good learning process on how to remove the plastics, have Coconut's great write up on the laptop, checking as we go.

It's really not good for a new bike !!!!
Stay tuned.

2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
Re: A new bike problem
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:28:19 am »
Lets play guess the fault !!!

Something to with throttle bodies, manifolds and sucking air ????

Stripping the tank and air box off at the moment.

There is no seal at all on cylinder #1, (a 1 to 1.5 mm air gap), cant see #2's manifold and #3 looks ok

The throttle bodies are not seated right into engine inlet manifolds.

Thanks to Travelling2bob, I needed his moral support and help !
A rather daunting task removing everything, even just to do a normal service !!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:33:40 am by Queensland Ken »
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:01:30 am »
Good work Ken, aint it good to have a mate around of like mind when you are doing something like that.
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:46:38 am »
Good for you both  :028: Never under estimate the value of a fellow biker
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 05:01:08 am »
Travelling2bob is / was  a great help, but he had to leave.

Have the tank off and now removing the air box or gain  access to the manifolds.

Just taking it easy / slowly.

I'd really hate to service my own bike lol lol WHAT A BUGGER of a bike to work on.

Haven't lost any screws, no broken bits and all the parts are spaced out in the garage, and there are lots of them

May swap out to Iridiums while it's all apart.

2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:13:56 am »
G'day Ken,

It was a pleasure to help in some small way and certainly a learning experience regarding the TT SE. Also thanks for the coffee's and conversation.

Just spit-balling I'm wondering if the original dealer undertook the engine upgrade (obviously taking off the airbox, and throttle bodies, etc) they didn't correctly reassemble? It's speculation but apart from quality control at the Triumph factory I can't see another obvious reason for such a young bike  :187: the first service run-in shouldn't involve anything with removing the airbox and/or throttle bodies?

I should be okay Fri morning to assist in reassembling the TT SE if you're available and you'd like me to.

PS: The TES error on my bike could have been caused by the mechanic starting the engine this morning (to upgrade the centre stand)without going through the TES start up cycle.

Cheers,

Scott
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 06:34:49 am »
Thanks so much Scott  :152:

Guess what ????

The first 2 attempts failed, loosen off the clamps then try to seat the throttle bodies.

The third attempt    BINGO   :156: :152: :046: :046: :046:

I loosened off all three clamps, again, then some more and more and the bodies pushed into place with a "POP"

What a bugger to get into the centre clamp, #2 cylinder. Lucky I had that long flex shaft driver.

All good, those bodies sit quite a way down into the manifolds, it's like there is an internal lip in them.

You were right Scott, the TB's were on a big angle, I could well suggest that the centre one was buggered as well.

This is what it's supposed to look like, the rubber boot hard up against the TB, the TB was sitting about 10mm to high on the LHS

Before:

After:

The air box and tank is on and I'm buggered.

Continued tomorrow.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:05:21 am by Queensland Ken »
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 07:35:20 am »
Couldn't help myself  :001:

Filled with petrol and installed the battery. WOW

A different bike, I really didn't know any better.

Real sweet idling, no farts, no sucking air, no funny engine knocks or backfires.

Put the Dealer tool on the bike, perfect throttle balance and perfect MAP ‘s on the sensor information.

Just have to take my time and put all the plastics back on carefully.
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

tweedy-bunch