Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: K & N air filters  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Ian

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
K & N air filters
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
Has any one looked at using an after market air filter such as the K & N?  Given I'm told it is a relatively lengthy job to replace the standard filter every 16000 kilometres a K & N seems to make sense.  I'm a little reluctant to go away from standard items but if any one has any experience with after market filters I'm interested to hear of your experience with them.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: K & N air filters
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 12:45:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ian [+]
Has any one looked at using an after market air filter such as the K & N?  Given I'm told it is a relatively lengthy job to replace the standard filter every 16000 kilometres a K & N seems to make sense.  I'm a little reluctant to go away from standard items but if any one has any experience with after market filters I'm interested to hear of your experience with them.
While the K & N might last forever, you still have to remove it to oil it and clean it.

Besides, I don't think it's a good idea on a high tech machine such as the TTSE to change much of anything that can affect the engine performance. There's just too much going on in there to be sure of what any little change could do.

BTW, I have a K & N air filter in my 84 Venture. But it is easy to get to. When I changed it, I did some other minor work such as change the spark plugs, but my MPG when from an average of 35 to 45 MPG after I was done and I think the K & N had a lot to do with it.

However, I wouldn't change anything on the TTSE other than what Triumph recommends.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »
I was just wondering, would a K&N go 20,000 miles between cleanings? That way the tank would only have to be removed half as often, with the valve check.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:04:07 PM »
the issue has been discussed before and you may find this thread helpful
https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,1020.msg11395.html#msg11395
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Old Hand

• Trophy Member
  • Old Hand
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Concours 14
  • City / Town: Markham
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
I don't have a Trophy (as yet), but have been using K&N filters on my Concours 14 since 2009. I have done 140,000 Kms. with the K&n filters with no adverse effects. Because the filter has to be washed when cleaning and takes a day or two to dry before oiling and re-installing it, I have two K&N air filters so that I install a clean one and then clean and oil the one that I removed and swap it at the next service interval. This way the bike is not out of service while the filter is being cleaned and dried.
I have also been using K&N filters in my car with no problems.
I find that I can extend the air filter replacement / swap by about 50% of the recommended interval with the K&Ns.
There is also a small, but noticeable, improvement in performance and fuel consumption with the K&Ns.

I'm planning to get a Trophy this spring, and will tell the dealer to install a K&N air filter when they are prepping the bike for delivery so that I don't have to go back after a couple of months to get the filter changed with the amount of riding that I do.

Riding since 1973 ....

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:05:21 PM »
Two filters, that might be the ticket. The K&N I had in my ST1300 always looked clean. Certainly went longer than 10,000 miles per cleaning. I'm just trying to figure out a way of not having the dealer pull the plastic of the bike as often.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 07:10:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Desertaire [+]
Certainly went longer than 10,000 miles per cleaning. I'm just trying to figure out a way of not having the dealer pull the plastic of the bike as often.
I admit I've never run a K&N in any of my bikes.  But for years I've run them in cars and they did not go 10,000 miles between cleanings.  I suppose they could have but that kind of defeated the purpose of having a cleanable filter.  At least for me.  I used a cleanable filter so that it can be cleaned frequently and kept darn near immaculate. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Toowoomba
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
It's a bit of a bugger to remove all the plastics to gain access to the filter.
Just been through that process gaining access to the throttle bodies.

It was surprising that there were a few bugs and stuff in the air box but the filter itself was reasonably clean after 6K kms.
Had to pull off the air box as well.

I've been running K&N filters on my bikes without any problems, so long as you read the instructions AND don't over oil them.
I'll most likely buy one for the bike when the time comes and a set of iridium plugs.

I do like K&N's, clean them when changing out the oils, but it will be a pain with the Trophy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:48:34 PM by Queensland Ken »
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300