Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Accessory outlets  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Bythebay

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Collingwood
Accessory outlets
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
Can anyone fill me in , are the acc. plugs BMW style ? If not which type , dealer didn't know , they appear to be the same as my Deutz tractor which is BMW style .
Also would like some feedback on heated gear re brands , good n bad ...?
Live long , ride hard and prosper ...!

Offline Trom100

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Weston
Re: Accessory outlets
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:44:26 PM »
The socket on the engine casing is BMW style whilst in glove box and top box they are standard car cigarette lighter style.

Offline Canucks_Fan

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1050 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kennewick
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bythebay [+]
Can anyone fill me in , are the acc. plugs BMW style ? If not which type , dealer didn't know , they appear to be the same as my Deutz tractor which is BMW style .
Also would like some feedback on heated gear re brands , good n bad ...?
Yes and no. They are Powerlets, www.powerlet.com and share the same physical dimension as the BMW, but what BMW uses are NOT Powerlet outlets, they are their own system that's run through the canbus system and frankly, suck. You can't just hook up a charger to the BMW socket, it has to be the BMW digital charger because it communicates with the bike. Does that answer your question?

As to heated gear, I've had both Gerbings and Tourmaster.  They both work about the same, but the Gerbings will run you double the $ since they don't include a controller with the pants, gloves or jackets.  That being said, the Gerbings have a more quality feel, if you know what I mean.  Currently I have Tourmaster jacket and pants and haven't had any issues in the 5 or so years I've owned them.

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 04:56:10 PM »
The power point is the same as the BMW, I bought the plugs from my local BMW dealer and converted the wiring that should go directly to the battery. This enabled me to use my Gerbing gloves and all worked fine.
I can only comment on the heated gloves by Gerbing :062: Had them now for 5+ years and use them all year round ( not heated in the summer ) They have been the best gloves I've owned in 40 years of riding. For the rest of their gear afraid I can't pass comment? I ware good winter bike gear and that keeps me warm enough.

I would recommend that you get the best that you can afford? Check that the supplier keeps the items in stock at all times? then there should be no problem with warranty issues.
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Bythebay

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Collingwood
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »
Thanks guys , think I have all the pieces sorted and coming now ... :821:
Live long , ride hard and prosper ...!

tweedy-bunch