Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Do I or don't I?  (Read 15122 times)

Offline welshanproud

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wrexham
Do I or don't I?
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:58:47 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm about order my new TT-SE but after reading some of the issues on here I now have doubts about reliability. I would welcome any advice before I part with my money. Thankyou.Keith
Your always in the .... it's just the depth that varies

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Do I or don't I?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 01:24:52 AM »
Hi there and  :400: to the Forum !

Forums like this cater for owners discussing problems they have had,
and this can give a misleading impression of reliability.

There will always be teething problems with any new vehicle,
but as has demonstrated by many of our members, Triumph seem to be doing
a really good job of sorting them out, modifying or replacing parts as required,
which is a credit to them  :028:

The main problems in the UK have been the addition of a centre stand strengthening bracket,
a modification / upgrade to the engine valve train,and more recently, a recall
to replace the Engine Control Module.

There have been a few other issues, and although I haven't personally had any major problems,
I am confident that if I do, then Triumph will sort them out  :169:

I can't say I would have the same confidence with other manufacturers.

More information in the "HOW TO : Check the most common faults & issues topic,
and the "All the Recalls and TSB' s"

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 01:45:40 AM »
Coconut lays out a well reason argument.  As for me Triumph is about the passion it evokes.  It is a bike that calls for you to listen to your heart.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline welshanproud

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:49:00 AM »
Thankyou for that. Just getting a bit jittery. I've always been a Honda fan but they don't make anything that is good two up, 200 mile tank rang and has good size luggage. The Pan is too old and the VFR is compromised (small tank, small luggage and that seat???? What we're they thinking? I've got until Wednesday to make my mind up. Thanks for the heads up

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 01:54:09 AM »
Dude, Buy it and then ride it like you stole it! Really, no worries, the bike is a real gem and all the niggling problems have been resolved w/the 2014 model release. If your looking at a 2013, then just ask for the VIN, if it's over 602960,you've nothing to worry about. If it's less than 602960, simply ask for all the upgrades and fixes to be applied to your bike before you put your pound sterling down and ride off the showroom floor, you'll be in like Flynn! -Dr Ron; Definitely worth it :169:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline welshanproud

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 02:14:12 AM »
Cheers! Looking at a brand new one. Looking at on of those faster blue ones haha! Going to load it up with lots of toys then hope and prey it stops raining long enough to run it in before a trip to Scotland in May.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 02:20:58 AM »
I just traded my 2004 BTW 1150 RT for my Trophy. My RT was ten years old with 100,000 miles on it. Only problem I ever had was the failure of a $120 stick coil, but if you read the forums you would think that all 04's were junk. My point is if you like the Trophy (I do) then don't fear what may happen. Just buy, ride, and enjoy.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 02:48:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by welshanproud [+]
Hi everyone! I'm about order my new TT-SE but after reading some of the issues on here I now have doubts about reliability. I would welcome any advice before I part with my money. Thankyou.Keith
Well, there are many recalls and my TTSE is subject to them ALL except the gas tank has already been upgraded (says my dealer). However, I have not had any of the problems that the recalls are  supposed to fix. My dealer said they have not had a single complaint about the ECM issue, but they are doing the upgrades anyway, because that's their job.

IMO, the TTSE is the best bike they make for many reasons. That's why I bought it!  But  I never even cared for Triumph before the TTSE came out. Just as with Harley's,  I just wasn't looking at Triumphs.  However, somebody made a brief mention of the TTSE in the Venture forum and I decided to read about it. And after I did, I said to myself WOW! I had a hard time believing it was a Triumph!  I knew right then it would be my next bike before even riding it. And I was just about ready to buy myself a BMW K1600 GTL.   Even if the TTSE had an as high price as the K1600GTL, I would still own the TTSE.

By far, the TTSE is the most fun and interesting bike I have ever owned. I look forward to riding it even when it's cold. I left the house this morning on my TTSE when it was 18F / -8C. It's a great cold weather bike. However, it started to snow and I didn't want to chance that, so I rode home which is more than 1,000 feet / 300 meters higher in elevation than where I was at the time. I wasn't even sure I could get home, but I did.

I have only had my TTSE since Nov 2, 2013 and I only have 1,500 miles / 2400 KM on it, but I have not had a single problem other than a "rear tire TPMS battery low" message. But the TPMS is still working fine. When I take my bike in for the recalls (I am waiting for the longer bolt to get here from England for the sidestand recall), I will have my dealer fix that.

BTW, in any forum for cars or motorcycles you will see MANY  problems mentioned. Expect such, but in most cases, it's a very small percentage with the problem.

I have heard many here say, don't test ride the TTSE unless you're sure you want to buy it!

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch