Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: And she's down.......  (Read 8975 times)

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE L
  • City / Town: Wigan
And she's down.......
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:08:46 pm »
Possibly my worst day of bike ownership ever.........

Started out OK with a nice jaunt to Manchester to pick up my rear fender. Even saw some sunshine!!!

Then had to go and do some work so back to Wigan and park the bike on the front of my shop. Put it up onto the centre stand and when I walked away I thought to myself it's leaning quite a bit because the old tarmac is a bit uneven.

Anyway you guessed it, came  to take it off the centre stand and no sooner had the back wheel touched the ground she was going over away from me.  :233: :233: :233: :233: :233:

Managed to get her back up with the help of a couple of helpful teenagers (yes that is what I said!).

The mirror bumper is slightly marked but not bothered about that, same with the  bottom rubber bumper but the grey grill finisher is badly marked and I need a new one.

Number 6 in the picture above. Anyone know how it fits? Looks to me like it is just pushed onto rubber retainers.

Then to cap it all I dropped my lid onto the concrete driveway as I was putting everything away.  :233: :233: :233:

I need this day to end PLEASE.

Dave.
Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
Re: And she's down.......
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:12:42 pm »
Arse!!!! At least it wasn't a moving drop! That would be very expensive!!!  :125:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:27:13 pm »
Hi Dave,

Ouch  :157:

Sorry mate, I don't know how that part comes off - but I think it will be fairly obvious if you take the Fairing off,
rather than tugging at it, in case the part underneath is attached to it.

It may be that those self tapping screws - "Item 16" go right through "Item 7" from inside and into the piece
"Item 6" that you need to replace ??

If you haven't removed the Fairing before, there's an article in the "HOW TO" section :
"HOW TO : Remove the Fairing ( & fit R & G Crash bars )"

A bit late now but there's also an article on picking up a dropped bike -
especially useful if you are on your own : "HOW TO : Pick up a dropped or fallen motorcycle"

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:42:57 pm by Coconut »

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:37:42 pm »
sorry for that Dave, I know it won't really help you but you know these things do happen. Apparently there's not too much damage. I dropped the bike too, doing a U-turn in a hotel parking: how embarrassing! The bike sustained very minor bruises but the right side pannier lid had to be replaced!
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:49:59 pm »
Ouch. Well now that you got the first scrape out of the way, you can just ride it and not worry about the next one. I scraped the pannier lid up while it wasnt even attached to the bike (got knocked across the garage floor) im just gonna leave it that way.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE L
  • City / Town: Wigan
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:19:18 pm »
Fortunately only had the top box on.
Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:23:07 pm »
Coconut you would be right about the grill piece. :152: I was just at the local Triumph dealer a couple of days ago and they had one with fairing sides off and that exactly what I saw was four screws going in from the backside. I had asked to see it because I wanted to see what it would look like in there if I were to order some of the R&G bars and put them on.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 07:00:24 pm »
Sorry to hear that Davybull, but ... it happens to us all.   Reminds me of when I dropped my brand-new R1150RT in front of my fiancee and her neighbor, fooled by those darn fully-linked brakes...  Ah well, as they say, you have that over with....
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC