Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Gravel roads  (Read 8194 times)

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
Gravel roads
« on: February 08, 2014, 07:36:43 pm »
Cold snowy weather here today, so I turn to Basecamp and Google maps to fill the time.
I usually put a fair amount of miles on gravel, I'll have to cut out the bad stuff since Im down to one bike now but has anyone put any gravel miles on the Trophy yet? I see a few trips this summer that will be some groomed gravel and my gut says this bike will probably handle fairly well, maybe with some mild D.S. tires.
Anyone got her dirty yet?
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline rocksteady

• Trophy Member
  • Searching for satellites
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Reading, Berkshire
Re: Gravel roads
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 05:41:43 pm »
 :156: Hells bells Briang you ride on that sort of surface! I would be bricking it all the time thinking that the front end would just go. Fair play to you for your riding skills and perseverance.
Cheer up they said, things could be worse. So I cheered up and sure enough things DID get worse!

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 05:57:15 pm »
Ha, like I said....groomed. Trouble is, theres more gravel miles in the western US then paved. Most of it isnt suited for bikes like this, but thousands of miles are pretty nice so Im still going to get it dirty. Just curious as to how sh handles in a little slop. Ill be finding out in another month or so anyway. :152:
Brian
Riding the Northwet

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 06:13:12 pm »
During a lengthy tour around North America last summer on my Trophy, I had occasion to ride on unpaved dirt and gravel roads. I was pleasantly surprised out how well the Trophy handled, especially after I gripped the handlebars at the extreme ends for better leverage. The tires were Michelin Pilot Road 3s, not dualsport-specific tires. A couple friends who bought Tiger Explorers have likewise put PR3s on their bikes.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:59:51 pm »
Thanks Don, good to know. I still have moments of regret trading in the Super Tenere.
Brian
Riding the Northwet

Offline 2wheeler

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 11:18:10 pm »
The highway that runs past our house was under road construction last year so was far from perfect. The Trophy does well on paved roads, but moves around a bit on gravel ridges or freshly spread gravel. It is a little heavier on the front than other bikes I've had, but if you can relax and not be bothered by some twitching, you shouldn't have much trouble. If it has recently rained on a gravel road, you will have your hands full. It will not be happy. I grew up on dirt bikes, so I'm grateful for that experience.

Offline 2wheeler

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 11:20:47 pm »
Sorry... That should have been " handles well on unpaved roads".

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 01:36:06 am »
I have been on unmade roads a few times, the last section was 20kms or more of heavy rutted and/or big loose stones all over various sections. The Trophy handled it easily. Speed was 60kph or more.  I find the comfort suspension setting to be great as it soaks up the bumps and gives better traction and stability over the rutted stuff.

tweedy-bunch