Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: HOW TO: Fitting Triumph Sat Nav Mount & Zumo 660.  (Read 62784 times)

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE L
  • City / Town: Wigan
HOW TO: Fitting Triumph Sat Nav Mount & Zumo 660.
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:05:55 pm »
Please note that this job was done on an SE bike. The actual physical mounting is the same but the wiring is different.

When fitting the Triumph Sat Nav mount the instructions don't say to remove the fairing panels, but I had to remove the right hand panel to fit another part and I found it much easier to remove the left hand panel to gain access to the wiring.

Coconut has posted some great instructions on how to remove the fairing panels so I won't duplicate those.

Once the fairing panels are removed the screen needs to be removed.

Remove the four allen screws that you can see and you are left with this.

Remove these other two allen screws with the nylon washers and the screen can be removed. I've popped the screws back in to keep track of them in the photo.

In the nav mount instructions it shows a diagram with the screen mounts removed so I did this as well. Remove the two circlips either side and the pins just push out. It does make access to the top two screw easier but you probably don't need to remove them. After I'd finished I just lubed the pins and re-fitted the mounts.

Then you need to remove the instrument panel.

Start with removing four allen bolts, two each side. Right hand side shown below.

Then got to the front of the bike and remove these four allen screws.

The top two screws should not be re-used as there are replacement screws in with the sat nav mount.

That means that you can pull the instrument panel towards the back of the bike. You don't need to unplug all the cables and remove it as you can easily get at everything with it like this.

From behind the instrument cluster you need to remove the two allen bolts. That releases the bar that the sat nav mount attaches to.

From the Zumo box get the motorcycle mount and harness and mount it to the Triumph mount like below. The release for the sat nav should be at the top.

Then slide the finisher onto the bottom of the mount and attach all that to the bar that was removed from behind the instrument cluster like below. The cable must run through the groove of the mount and through the finisher.

Then the bar can be re-attached.

Then locate the sat nav power cable and the audio in jack plug on the left hand side of the bike as shown. The black ends are blanking plugs and need to be removed. I also purchased the Triumph power cable. This cable has two crimps connectors and a plug that plugs straight into the bikes power plug. Then you just crimp the bare ends of the zumos harness, positive and negative to the power cable.

The cables need to be routed to below the left hand mirror cover. Gather the excess cable and cable tie it neatly like below. Note I've looped the fuse up into the mirror cover so that it will be behind the left hand mirror when everything is back together. The blue bits are duck tape covering the crimp connectors.

After this I refitted the instrument cluster loosely and re-attached the battery to test the unit and cabling worked before I re-assembled everything.

If it works OK just re-assemble your bike carefully.

It took me 3 hours from start to finish and I was also taking off the right hand fairing to replace a part on that and also fitting a rear mudguard extender.

You only need basic tools and it is quite an easy job to tackle.

Cheers
Dave.

Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
Re: HOW TO: Fitting Triumph Sat Nav Mount & Zumo 660.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:34:00 pm »
Great How To mate, well done. :028:
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:35:46 pm »
Top job Dave  :047:

:460:

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 03:24:36 pm by Coconut »

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:34:33 am »
*Originally Posted by davybull [+]
Once the fairing panels are removed the screen needs to be removed.
Didn't I hear here that the complete fairing does NOT have to be removed for the GPS install? Just the console on the left side of the bike, as well as what you have mentioned here?

But I removed my fairing anyway, as I was installing my dual horns, R & G Adventure Bars and my GPS all at the same time. And my freeway pegs, of course. My dual horns are mounted on the Adventure Bars and look fine, IMO. And are loud! And work with the key out.

IMO, when removing the fairing, think about everything you might want to do later, so it can all be done at the same time. But I don't think it has to be removed for just the GPS install based on other messages I have seen in this forum.

-Don- (in rainy SSF, CA)
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:59 am »
That's a perfect placement for a GPS, and I used an Enduro Engineering universal mount, but am not thrilled with the view of the GPS.
Congrats on a great solution.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline rocksteady

• Trophy Member
  • Searching for satellites
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 05:51:48 pm »
  :028: Thanks for all the very useful info and the good photos davybull. I'm picking my ex demo Trophy up from Hughenden m40 at Thame on Saturday all being well and I'm going to be using the bmw equivalent mk4 I think it's called, but basically the zumo 660. They thought the wiring may be different but I'm sure it will be as the way you've wired yours in.
Thanks again for your efforts, very helpful.
Cheer up they said, things could be worse. So I cheered up and sure enough things DID get worse!

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:04:21 pm »
Thanks Davey thats gonna help me a fair bit ta

Roger

Offline rocksteady

• Trophy Member
  • Searching for satellites
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 06:27:29 pm »
  :028: Thanks for all the very useful info and the good photos davybull. I'm picking my ex demo Trophy up from Hughenden m40 at Thame on Saturday all being well and I'm going to be using the bmw equivalent mk4 I think it's called, but basically the zumo 660. They thought the wiring may be different but I'm sure it will be as the way you've wired yours in.
Thanks again for your efforts, very helpful.
Cheer up they said, things could be worse. So I cheered up and sure enough things DID get worse!