Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hello from Canada  (Read 5006 times)

Offline Tom the bomb

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Hello from Canada
« on: February 10, 2014, 04:20:49 am »

I need some advice. I'm getting back into riding once again, and I'm a bit confused by how big of a bike to get. It's been many years since I last rode.I'm 6'1" & 215 lbs.
People are telling me a Trophy is too big to start on. I'd really hate to make the wrong decision. The trophy is the type of bike I prefer.

Help  :187: 

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Hello from Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:56:22 am »
First Welcome to the Forum :400:
Second the Trophy IS a big bike. I have to admit that even though I've been riding for 40 years  it took me 500 miles to get used to it.  Now the Trophy doesn't handle like a big bike but it certainly looks like a big bike. Once under speed it handles like a much smaller bike but still it is over 600 pounds.  So at low speeds it can be a handful.  If you haven't ridden in a very long time I suggest you spend some time on a Bonneville sized bike and then spend some time on the Trophy.  An experienced rider can't go wrong with the Trophy but if you think it will take you a bit of time to get used to riding again then you should go with a smaller bike.  Then invest in a Bonneville.  I know there is some hesitancy to buy twice thinking you might waste money.  But believe me avoiding accidents due to getting back into motorcycling to soon on too big of a bike will be worth it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:52:08 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 05:03:35 am »
*Originally Posted by Tom the bomb [+]
I need some advice. I'm getting back into riding once again, and I'm a bit confused by how big of a bike to get. It's been many years since I last rode.I'm 6'1" & 215 lbs. People are telling me a Trophy is too big to start on. I'd really hate to make the wrong decision. The trophy is the type of bike I prefer.

Help  :187:
I am also 6' 1" and  215 lbs (what a coincidence!). The very first time I sat on the TTSE, I felt it was too wide. But after many hundreds of miles, I discovered it was a non-issue.

But to "start on"? Not much of an issue as long as you know to keep your eye on the speed. These things are a lot faster than they used to be. I mean you can no longer simply go for WOT and wait for the bike to get up to the wanted speed, as now that only takes a couple of seconds and you will be going 100 mph / 160 kph before you even get a chance to think about it. Just ride slow and accelerate slow until you get used to it and you will be okay. And these days, 100 MPH / 160 kph does NOT feel like 100 MPH/ 160 kph.  Just be careful and you're just the right size for a TTSE. BTW, I do have the taller seat.

-Don-  SSF, CA

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:06:54 am by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Theo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Prince George
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 06:29:50 am »
Hi there, fellow Canadian,
I'm about 5' 9.5" and the low seat position is barely low enough for me, but I can get my feet on the ground.  Once moving, that's not an issue any more.  I would agree with w8d4it that the Bonneville would be a good bike to start/learn on if you can justify the additional cost.  That's what I did and I find it such a great little machine that I've kept it with no plan to sell now that I have the Trophy.  Another advantage is that the seat height (Trophy low setting) is very close to the same as the Bonneville seat height - either of which should be no problem for you at your height.

All of that said, you may not have much problem going straight to the Trophy if you have riding experience - even if it's quite a long while back.  It's a choice only you can make.  I returned to riding in 2008 at age 60 after 38 years away from bikes.  The biggest bike I owned was a Yamaha 180 cc so the main thing I had to get used to was the extra weight of the larger bike; then a little practice and I feel like the machine is part of me.

As others have said, the Trophy handles like a much lighter machine; very smooth and very agile and, as Don said, pretty quick too.

Good luck - I think you'll love it!

Theo
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 08:04:21 am »
Hi Tom and  :400:  to the Forum !

I'm neither 6' 1" or 215 lbs, so I can't advise you from that perspective  :018:

I had a gap of around 10 years not riding, although my previous bike was the previous Trophy "3" model,
which was a big, bike, but not quite as big and heavy as the new model.

I soon learnt to handle my new Trophy on the move -
once your're moving the bike doesn't feel anywhere near as heavy  -
just take it easy until you are used to it.
( If you're getting a brand new one you'll have to run it in first anywaY  :169: )

TIP : Make sure wherever possible that you always stop somewhere with good grip for your boots !

e.g. If you stop where there's gravel, ice, or a wet slippery road, and your foot starts to slide -
you'll find it quite difficult to stop yourself from going over :012:

What you may also have a problem with, due to the weight and size of the machine, is very low speed manoevering,
until you get used to how it handles, and build up confidence in your handling skills.

Walking alongside the bike and pushing it around, such as in and out of the garage or parking spaces etc.
takes some practice - if you allow the bike to start to lean away from you, a lot of strength is needed to get it back !

If I'm walking the bike, I always have the side stand down just in case I feel the need to stop and rest it on that.

Consider asking your local Triumph Dealer if they could demonstrate Handling techniques and tips to you -
they moce big bikes around all the time, and may well have a few extra tips to pass on   :028:

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:49:47 am »
Welcome aboard Tom  :400:, I think both W8d4It and Coconut gave you very sound advices, in your situation, no matter how tall or big, I would go for what they suggest, start riding again on a smaller bike and once you feel familiarized again, move to the bigger one
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:56:10 pm by Verdun95 »
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Tom the bomb

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 02:15:52 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. You guy's raised a few points that I never considered yet. Practicing walking the bike will be a good technique that's for sure. I was leaning towards the speedmaster, but again people are telling me it's not big enough & it won't have the power.

Offline Old Hand

• Trophy Member
  • Old Hand
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Concours 14
  • City / Town: Markham
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 06:32:25 pm »
Hi Tom,
Welcome to the forum and back to riding again.
If you would like to brush up on your riding skills so that you are more confident on the Trophy, check out organisations that offer rider training in your city and see if they offer refresher programs for riders who want to start riding again. Here in Ontario there are a couple of organisations that do that and provide their own bikes, for a few hundered dollars, so hopefully there are some in Edmonton.

As other members have said, the new models handle much better and are not such a handful as large bikes for a decade ago.

:158:
Riding since 1973 ....