Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Speaker size  (Read 5200 times)

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
Speaker size
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:40:34 pm »
Does anyone know off hand what size the speakers are in the fairing of the Trophy? I have my bike on order and asked the dealership, but he says he can't find where it is listed anywhere. Thinking of upgrading the speakers and adding an amp to get a little more sound out of it when it gets here. And the wait goes on.......
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
Re: Speaker size
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 06:59:52 pm »
To be honest, over 70 it won't make much difference, It's loud enough below that speed. Go into settings to change the bass treble and mid range. Never had an issue through town riding.

:007:

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:09:49 pm »
If my helmet speakers sound loud enough at speeds above 70mph I might not need it, but thought I would ask. My last bike that I just sold was a Victory Vision and it was a little anemic on sound like the Trophy, but I was able to upgrade the speakers and added an Alpine head amp and was able to double the sound for less than $100. The Trophy I test road was pretty quiet, but I noticed it was lacking in the sound department also which surprised me. Guess I'm getting old fart hearing syndrome.  :001:
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Neducati

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800XC ABS
  • City / Town: Mechanicsburg, PA
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:01:06 pm »
*Originally Posted by atvtinker [+]
Does anyone know off hand what size the speakers are in the fairing of the Trophy? I have my bike on order and asked the dealership, but he says he can't find where it is listed anywhere. Thinking of upgrading the speakers and adding an amp to get a little more sound out of it when it gets here. And the wait goes on.......

Older post, so you may no longer care, but the stock speakers are 100mm in diameter, which is just shy of 4" (and they are waterproof). 

You can see them here (and I wonder why the dealer couldn't find this info): 

http://www.bikebandit.com/2013-triumph-trophy-se/o/m155159#sch786254

I was interested in upgrading them too, so if you've done it, please share what you bought, where you bought them, and whether there was a noticeable improvement.

Ned
2012 Tiger 800XC ABS (Phantom Black)
2016 Ducati Scrambler Classic (Orange Sunshine)
1966 TR6SC Trophy Special (Pacific Blue and Alaskan White)

Offline Matt Kas

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Oceanside, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:38:08 am »
I have recently test ridden a 2014 Harley Electra Glide Ultra limited. The speakers sounded really good. But I am not sure about Harley speaker size.
Matt Kas
Oceanside, CA
2017 TTSE, 2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 08:10:55 am »
The speakers themselves are very heavy and robust, using very heavy and thick rubber speaker cones. This is to keep them waterproof as the grilles allow water in. The bike delivers quite a bit of juice to these speakers in order to drive them.

The speakers sit in protective mouldings and are accessed by removing the front instrument facia. See my old theead on hacking into the speaker wiring for photos and more info.

I honestly think that it would be pointless to "upgrade" the speakers as they are quite loud enough at any realistic speed. Any louder and they would really annoy other road users and bystanders. Also, if you do not use waterproof speakers you will be changing them on a regular basis as they get wet, and this is quite a big job.

HTH

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:36:58 am »
*Originally Posted by atvtinker [+]
If you want loud, get a Nolan Helmet with the N-Com. I can turn it up loud enough to hurt my ears while on the freeway. I find it works much better than speakers or the G9 powerset that I used to use. But updating the N-com  firmware is a real big hassle for the first time.

IMO, the TTSE speakers are loud enough as it is, but IMO, that's not the best way on a bike, unless you want to annoy others. I rarely use my speakers on my TTSE or Venture  for anything, except for sometimes when I am off but near the bike.

-Don-  Reno, NV

-
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 12:51:50 pm »
I've found I can hear the speakers fine above 120 km with my full face on and ear plugs in, the ear plugs get rid of the distortion from the wind noise. Although my wife on the back says all she can hear is mumble jumble sounds but she won't wear the earplugs.