Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Second Dead Battery  (Read 21261 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PC-Rider

  • Non Active
  • *
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Atco, NJ
  • Country: USA
Second Dead Battery
« on: February 17, 2014, 06:28:44 pm »
The first battery died on my bike the second day I had it.
The dealer took care of that under warranty and they replaced the ECU at the same time.
With that defective battery everything showed power except I could not start the bike.  Nothing really worked, but there was some voltage left in the battery.

I road it a couple of Saturdays ago (with the new battery of course) and the day following, around 70 miles each day.
Started up fine every time.
Radio worked Saturday but not Sunday.
I had a TES warning Sunday but that may have been my fault by getting on before it was done calibrating, and I did not have any more problems after that.
I started it the next day on Monday night to make sure the TES was working and it started fine then too, and the TES was fine also.
I tried starting it again the next Thursday and absolutely NOTHING.
No lights, no windscreen going up and down, no warnings on the dash because it was totally blank.
Never had a warning on the dash before that either.

I thought perhaps a fuse had blown for the radio, but that was good.
Then I checked all of the main fuses, and they are all good.

The battery won't take a charge, but I have never had to use a charger before (on my Honda),
and I  borrowed a cheap tester from work and the battery showed a  -4.6, yes, a negative number! [**EDIT here 2/19 to say that I apparently used the tester incorrectly having the probes switched.  The battery shows 4.56 Volts.]
I am no mechanic or electrician sorry.

My bike has the following options: Heated Grips, both Heated Seats, Top Box with the DC plug in it.
I have not, and have yet to, plug anything into any of the DC plugs.
I try to turn the seats and grips off before I reach my destination and turn the bike off.

My guess would be that the bike is not recharging the battery.
But I had started is several times each day and once on that Monday.
Are all of these extras drawing too much and preventing the battery from recharging?
But I did not have any indicators on the dash telling me I had low voltage.
After reading Coconuts fine list I thought the radio may not have been working to save power because of low battery voltage, but I would also think the bike would not start if it did not have enough power to run the radio.

Any ideas?
I should invest in a voltmeter, but I should not have to with a brand new bike.
That is one of the main reasons I bought a new bike was for reliability !

The dealer is going to pick it up to check it out.

Signed: Rideless in New Jersey !
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:56:50 pm by PC-Rider »

Offline Saaz

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1079
    • View Profile
  • Country: Australia
Re: Second Dead Battery
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:42:26 pm »
I have all those things on mine. I have checked the battery voltage while having most things turned on and using the windscreen, and the battery was charging even at idle.  Hopefully it is just another dud battery.

Online Coconut

  • Trophy God
  • *****
  • Posts: 8945
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
  • Country: UK
Re: Second Dead Battery
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:56:34 pm »
The Jury is still out as to the reasons for dud batteries,
it could be the actual battery is faulty,
it could be the battery was not commissioned properly,
it could be a charging fault on the Trophy,
it could be draining the battery and not riding for long enough to replenish it,
it could be something else,
or it could even all be Member Briang1234's fault, for daring to suggest, less than hour ago,
that after his ECM replacement, he hasn't had any more battery problems !  :156:
( "I hesitate to even mention this .... " )

Hopefully it IS just one of what "seems" to have been a bad batch of batteries,
and a(nother) replacement by the Dealer will put things right  :169:


Offline Briang1234

  • Non Active
  • *
  • Posts: 437
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
  • Country: USA
Re: Second Dead Battery
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:16:28 pm »
Hey now!
If it can be proven I was at all to blame (No attorneys need apply) the next round of beers are on me!
2 batteries is a tough call PC, I suffered my own battery woes, but so far (knock on wood) the battery gods have continued to smile on me. (Note my sig line  :001: )
Give her another battery and hope for the best?
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline PC-Rider

  • Non Active
  • *
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Atco, NJ
  • Country: USA
Re: Second Dead Battery
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 09:02:19 pm »
*Originally Posted by saaz [+]
I have all those things on mine. I have checked the battery voltage while having most things turned on and using the windscreen, and the battery was charging even at idle.  Hopefully it is just another dud battery.
I find this encouraging.
Thank you.

Offline PC-Rider

  • Non Active
  • *
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Atco, NJ
  • Country: USA
Re: Second Dead Battery
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:07:05 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
The Jury is still out as to the reasons for dud batteries,
it could be the actual battery is faulty,
it could be the battery was not commissioned properly,
it could be a charging fault on the Trophy,
it could be draining the battery and not riding for long enough to replenish it,
it could be something else,
or it could even all be Member Briang1234's fault, for daring to suggest, less than hour ago,
that after his ECM replacement, he hasn't had any more battery problems !  :156:
( "I hesitate to even mention this .... " )

Hopefully it IS just one of what "seems" to have been a bad batch of batteries,
and a(nother) replacement by the Dealer will put things right  :169:



I sure hope it puts things right.
I am beginning, well, continuing, to wonder if I made a good choice sometimes.
I love the bike,....when it's running !

I know the weather is bad and I can't ride anyway but this is discouraging.  :006:

Offline PC-Rider

  • Non Active
  • *
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Atco, NJ
  • Country: USA
Re: Second Dead Battery
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:09:06 pm »
*Originally Posted by Briang1234 [+]
Hey now!
If it can be proven I was at all to blame (No attorneys need apply) the next round of beers are on me!
2 batteries is a tough call PC, I suffered my own battery woes, but so far (knock on wood) the battery gods have continued to smile on me. (Note my sig line  :001: )
Give her another battery and hope for the best?
I did notice your sig line !
I was wondering if I could borrow it !  :008:

Offline DonTom

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 2003
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
  • Country: USA
Re: Second Dead Battery
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:11:32 pm »
*Originally Posted by PC-Rider [+]
I find this encouraging.
Thank you.
With the rev. pol., I assume you have a charging problem. It might be an intermittent charging problem.  I doubt if it is just two failed batteries.

-Don-
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9