Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Not entirely happy  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Mordiglio

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophie SE
  • City / Town: Epsom
Not entirely happy
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:40 pm »
All of the issues mentioned below only became apparent after the bike came back from the factory after its engine upgrade job.
The bike previously had a new battery installed, together with a new screen motor.
Bluetooth connectivity was never an issue before, except for when moving more than 5 feet away from the bike, and even then connection was instantly re-established when moved back closer to the bike
The bike has only been ridden 3 times since it came back from the factory (3 weeks ago)
The bike is kept in a garage and it’s always connected to an Optimate 4 when not used

1)   Problem
Electric screen not working
Symptoms
-   With ignition on and engine idle or not running, the screen won’t move up or down
-   When the bike is moving, above 15mph, the screen can be moved up or down
-   When the bike comes to a stop, engine idle, the screen stops working again and cannot be moved up or down
-   After riding for about 20 minutes in normal traffic conditions, and when the bike comes to a stop, the screen can be lowered, but it would not come up unless the bike is moving again
-   When turning the ignition off, the screen move itself to the lowest position, but when ignition is turned back on, the screen fails to go back to the previous position (doesn’t keep memory of position)

2)   Problem
Bluetooth not working or working sporadically
Symptoms
-   Trophy and Scala Rider G9 are paired (Headset 1)
-   Mobile phone is paired with Trophy (Device 2)
-   With Rider G9 turned on, turning ignition on and engine running (or not running) on Trophy, bluetooth connection is not established and audio cannot be heard over the headset
-   After running the engine for a couple of minutes, Bluetooth connection can be established by turning off the G9 headset and turning it back on
-   Turning the ignition off and back on does not re-establish bluetooth connection

3)   Problem
Tyre Pressure Monitor battery low
Symptoms
-   On 3 or 4 occasions, message appeared on the screen showing something  similar to “Rear Tyre Pressure Monitor Battery Low” (don't remember the exact message)
-   Before the bike went back from its engine upgrade, I’ve noticed, and mentioned in a letter to Triumph, the same message for the front tyre. This is not appearing anymore and I can only assume that the sensor was replaced. Looks like the rear tyre pressure sensor also need replacing
The bike is just over a year old

4)   Problem
Service due mileage
Symptoms
-   When ignition is turned on, screen showing message “Service due in 300 miles”
-   This is obviously because the ECM has been replaced, and it should have been reset

The bike is going once again back to the dealer on the 1st March, hopefully for the last time until the next service

Not particularly happy  :023:

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
Re: Not entirely happy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:58:45 pm »
*Originally Posted by Mordiglio [+]
Electric screen not working
I encountered a similar problem after I had the 30K-mile scheduled service performed in Denver, CO during my tour last summer. The console also displayed an error message about the cruise control. I immediately returned to the shop and they connected the service computer.

It turned out that the mechanic had not performed all the required steps using the computer to reset and/or recalibrate everything. Once that was done, the screen again operated properly and the error messages disappeared. Perhaps your problems are due to similar neglect.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:43:20 pm »
Understand your unhappiness.  As donmoe says much of it can likely be attributed to mechanic's failure to complete his job.  With regards to the Scala connection the situation you describe is the situation I have always faced.  The Scala always has to be turned on after the bike is running.  Not just the ignition on because the bluetooth momentarily cuts out when the start is engaged.  I have never been able to keep the Scala connected when the engine was turned off and restarted.  In fact when I called Scala they told me to expect that problem.  Were you ever able to do so? 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 01:44:59 am »
The Trophy seems overly complicated and dependent on the ECM. I thought having to have the dealer tell the ECM that heated grips are installed was a bit much. Now it sounds like there are other systems that have to communicate with it too.  I see a never ending series of problems in the future.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 03:15:16 am »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
  I see a never ending series of problems in the future.

Do you own an automobile? If so it is even more dependent on the ECM than your Trophy. Are you going to give it up? I worked for a company that builds class 8 semi trucks, everything and I mean EVERYTHING on a modern truck runs through the ECM. Lights, Wipers, Throttle, Brakes, Transmission, everything but the radio and if the truck has certain options even the radio can be controlled by the ECM. I agree it can be a source of problems when it isn't working correctly, but we had very few ECM related issues on our trucks. Most of the problems I had to address were mistakes or part shortages made during the assembly process. I guess my point is this system is on all vehicles and here to stay.  :157:

Offline Mordiglio

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:37:19 am »
It turned out that the mechanic had not performed all the required steps using the computer to reset and/or recalibrate everything.
much of it can likely be attributed to mechanic's failure to complete his job

I really hope you guys are right.
One thing the sales person said to me the day I bought the bike was "see you at the 10k miles service".  :062:
The bike has been back to the dealer almost every month since  :012:

w8d4it, My G9 always worked perfectly with the Trophy (until now that is).
I would turn the ignition off to fill the tank or pop into a shop and never even touch the G9. Turn the ignition back on and it would reconnect immediately.
In fact when I called Scala they told me to expect that problem
Well, that's just not true and you're more than welcome to contact them back and use my statement. It sounds like they just wanted to get rid of you over the phone as they had no answer.  :155:

In any case, as no changes were made to the Scala Rider, the problem must be with the Trophy and the issue has been logged with Triumph.
I'll let you know if they come back with anything useful.

Offline KenSmith

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Corbin, Kentucky
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:03:07 am »
I don't think the problem is with central computers in general. The problem is with Triumph's piss poor implementation. They are obviously in way over their heads. Either the engineers need to make the system simple to maintain, or the mechanics and technicians have to be highly trained experts. I don't think Triumph has managed to hit either goal.

My car has everything tied to a computer and I've had no issues in nearly 30,000 miles over the past six years. My Trophy has some kind of issue at least once per week. I expected to ride the Trophy about 30,000 miles per year. I've had it over four months and haven't even hit 3,000 miles yet. I'm riding my little Honda 700 as my primary transportation instead of the high-dollar Trophy.

I'm only a few weeks away from getting my new Honda. Then I can treat the Trophy like a toy for occasional play. That's about all it's good for.

Life is full of risks. After the deer killed my Gold Wing, I took a chance on a Triumph and got burned. If I had it to do over, I'd buy another Gold Wing instead of pouring all that money down the drain for a bike that's just a toy.
Ken Smith
Corbin, Kentucky
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere - Coming Soon
2013 Triumph Trophy SE - Going Soon
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe

Offline Mordiglio

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:39:36 am »
KenSmith, I understand your frustration, I really do, but I do love my Trophy and I do think it's the best bike I've ever had by a mile.
So far everything has been done under warranty and didn't cost me a penny, but I do hope that everything gets sorted before the warranty expires or it's going to be hard to justify keeping the bike.

The only problem I have with having to take the bike back so often is that I work full time and can only take it in at weekends, when the dealer is at its busiest.
I have a 2000+miles trip to Europe in July and it would be a disaster if something goes wrong with the bike, as it would be almost impossible to fix by the side of the road (Coconut's "how to" guides will be saved to PDF on the iPad and brought on the trip. Thank You Coconut  :028:)

All of this is really frustrating, but I DO still love the bike, and I'll try everything I can to get it right as I plan to put a stupid amount of miles on this machine. :007: :152: