Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Mileage between oil changes  (Read 7091 times)

Offline carey

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
Mileage between oil changes
« on: February 21, 2014, 02:03:46 am »
I just changed my oil for the first time myself. The dealer has changed it twice. Once at break-in and at 7K per my request. I know that Triumph states that the oil change interval to be 10K. I went 9500 mi. since my last oil change. The look of the oil (Amsoil) concerned me. It was extremely dark. I am going to change the oil and filter every 7K from now on. 

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Mileage between oil changes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 04:58:22 am »
Topic has been discussed many times with members all over the place on the issue.  Ranging from changing every 3000 to every 10,000.  Do a search and you will see tempers tend to flare although I can't see why.  I think it a matter of to each their own but the following will give you a flavor of the discussions
https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,448.0.html
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:24:38 am »
*Originally Posted by carey [+]
I just changed my oil for the first time myself. The dealer has changed it twice. Once at break-in and at 7K per my request. I know that Triumph states that the oil change interval to be 10K. I went 9500 mi. since my last oil change. The look of the oil (Amsoil) concerned me. It was extremely dark. I am going to change the oil and filter every 7K from now on.
Dark engine oil is nothing to be overly concerned with.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:28:25 am »
As long as you change it at least as often as every 10,000 miles as Triumph suggest then any option is fine.

Much as I like to do more, situation is such that I rarely do more than 7,000 miles a year and the bike gets serviced every year just before the riding season so its a 7k cycle for me too... but then the service interval is 10k miles OR 1 year. It just means that depending on mileage there are some things that might get skipped a year as not necessary to do more frequently than every 10k
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Toowoomba
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 06:01:00 am »
It will always be dark with friction plates there.
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 12:46:23 pm »
One of my coworkers recycles oil from his various motorcycles through his high mileage old Chevy pickup. I guess this doesn't apply to anything about anything.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:33:12 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
Dark engine oil is nothing to be overly concerned with.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Just means the additive pack is doing it's job properly.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »
*Originally Posted by sin_tiger [+]
Just means the additive pack is doing it's job properly.
Yep. However, I have always noticed that new engines keep the oil lighter much longer than older engines, but it's certainly nothing to worry about.

This reminds me of the clutch fluid (DOT 3 brake fluid) getting dark fast, from heat,  in my 84 Venture. Yamaha says to ignore it when it gets black, just change it at the recommended change time regardless of how dark it gets before then. The same holds true for engine oil on all vehicles, AFAIK.

The only exception I know of is the tranny fluid in automatic transmissions. If it turns brown, it's time to have it flushed out.

BTW, vehicles such as the TTSE that are designed to ONLY use synthetic engine oil will go a lot longer on an oil change than a vehicle with synthetic engine oil that is designed to use both engine oils. Every owner's manual I have seen has said something to indicate such. Such as stating synthetic engine oil can be used as long as it is changed as often as the dino oil recommendation, which might be as low as 3,000 miles. IMO, there is NO realistic  advantage of using synthetic engine oil except in an engine that is designed to ONLY use it, such as our TTSE.

I wonder how big of a debate that statement will cause here. :008: But just read the owner's manuals as that's what I will almost always agree with.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch