Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Discounts for Forum members  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Discounts for Forum members
« on: February 21, 2014, 08:45:32 am »
Recently "someone" joined the Forum and announced they were offering 10% discount to Forum members   :028:

Unfortunately, such blatant advertising is in breach of Forum Policy, and the post was quickly removed  :138:

.... but it got me thinking, so here's a suggestion for everyone to try :

IF you are considering purchasing anything for your Trophy, either from an official Trumph dealer,
or from a company supplying after market accessories etc, simply ask the question,
"Do you give any discount to members of the Triumph Trophy Forum ? "

In my experience the answer will often be "Yes" - and at least 10%   :169:

From the sellers perspective, they may agree to some discount to get the sale, especially if they think
the potential customer might go elsewehere ( if there is an alternative supplier ), and even when there isn't,
it could still be to their benefit, as the customer may then let other Forum Members know about their product,
which could generate further sales, but without being classed as commercial advertising  :047:

It will also help to generate further interest and membership of these Forums,
which can only be a good thing for everyone concerned   :002:

( Now I wonder if I can persuade the previous attempted advertiser to provide their 10% discount
back-dated for 6 months, as I've spent around £570 with them since then !  :114: )

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: Discounts for Forum members
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:39:02 am »
If the naughty blatant person was supplying fuel would you be kind enough to forward them my details !

Roger

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:39:54 pm »
*Originally Posted by Roger [+]
If the naughty blatant person was supplying fuel would you be kind enough to forward them my details !

Roger

:745:

Seriously though, that's a good suggestion. I've done something similar with other than Triumph dealers. Happen to mention that you "read about it on such and such a forum, it was getting a good write up with this seller specifically mentioned for good service and that you would post your experience to support that", or "this is new and very cool kit, can you give me some additional information so that I can do a review for the other forum members". Flattery costs nothing  :016:

If you want cheek, I went into my local Rolls Royce dealer many years ago, who also happened to be my nearest Range Rover dealer to buy a set of alloy wheels. I politely asked the parts department manager, three piece suit and Rolls tie, if I might be eligable for a discount being a technical writer for our club magazine. Never blinked and gave me 15% off  :169:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 01:21:42 pm »
If you don't ask you don't get!

When I bought my Shoei Neotec from justhelmets.co.uk I asked for a discount code to publish on triumphtorque.net

The guy who runs it gave me TRIUMPHT as the code to enter when you go through checkout. I should imagine it still works and he would honour it if anyone is looking for a new helmet!
 :002:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 03:13:04 pm »
I think asking for a Trophy Forum member discount is a good idea.  Of course the dealer might ask for verification of membership.   Wonder if it would be a plausible idea for the Administrator to put together a page where a member can fill in his/her details and print out a "card" verifying membership on this fine Forum.   
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:19:22 pm »
I don't think most retailers are too bothered where you came from....

At the end of the day if they are prepared to offer a discount via a code that code gets out and everyone uses it.... Yes it erodes the per unit margins but if it has the desired effect of shifting volume they get better bulk discounts from their suppliers and make it up that way and everyone is a winner!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 03:42:25 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
I think asking for a Trophy Forum member discount is a good idea.  Of course the dealer might ask for verification of membership.   Wonder if it would be a plausible idea for the Administrator to put together a page where a member can fill in his/her details and print out a "card" verifying membership on this fine Forum.

and then to make sure members have a vested interest in the Forum the Admin will ask for a token Annual Fee  :156:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 04:09:00 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
I don't think most retailers are too bothered where you came from....

At the end of the day if they are prepared to offer a discount via a code that code gets out and everyone uses it.... Yes it erodes the per unit margins but if it has the desired effect of shifting volume they get better bulk discounts from their suppliers and make it up that way and everyone is a winner!

Could be, I can't pretend to know. I just thought it might be an idea.   I'm very fortunate in that I seldom pay retail for anything motorcycle related because my brother is a dealer and I only pay his cost.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST