Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tinted Shorty Windshield  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Donk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: WI & FL
Tinted Shorty Windshield
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:45:55 am »
Has anyone tried the CalSci "tinted shorty"?  Living in Florida my only complaint bout the Trophy is I would like more air.  At 5'7" I have never put the screen up more than an inch or two.  I figure a smaller screen may be the ticket?  Thoughts?

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
Re: Tinted Shorty Windshield
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 02:30:38 am »
I'd like 3 or 4 inches cut off the stock shield. More air in the down position and still able to just see over it when fully deployed.

Offline uberchuckie

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 02:36:26 pm »
My Calsci shorty windscreen arrived in the mail.  I bought the shorty to get more airflow during the hot days.  With the stock windscreen, I can't get air to my chin vents with the windscreen fully lowered (I'm 5'8").

The tint is about the same darkness as my Shoei dark smoke visor.  As you can see, it does not have a vent hole at the bottom.

Calsci tinted shorty windscreen by uberchuckie, on Flickr

The top edge is flat and is a couple of inches shorter than the stock screen.

Calsci tinted shorty windscreen by uberchuckie, on Flickr

It's still snowing here so I won't be able to try this out for a while still.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2000 Honda CBR600F4 (track bike)

Offline Donk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: WI & FL
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:13:32 pm »
I solved the problem this week.  I traded the Trophy in for an Explorer.  Same drivetrain, more air, less bulbous. 

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:40:45 pm »
The only thing bad about those shorty windshields that are "tinted" is if you ever get caught in the rain on a dark evening or during the night it is almost impossible to see through them. Believe me, been there, done that, on my last bike. Had a Gustaffson flip shield on my Vision with the dark tint and after a couple of times of trying to see through it during a rainstorm, it immediately came off. Don't get me wrong, it was great to be able to get the air, just doesn't work great for the situation mentioned above.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline afterburner

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 triumph trophy
  • City / Town: long beach, ca
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 06:58:27 pm »
I agree with ATVTINKER. At night, especially when you're coming to a stop, it's hard to see the lines on the road and kind of fks up your horizontal reference. In other words, it kind of makes you feel tipsy. I purchased the tinted shorty. I felt it was too short and material too thin. I sent it back and got a medium and had it trimmed 2 inches taller than the shorty. The medium shield is thicker and they trim it to your preference free of charge. So while you have the shorty on, see if you want it taller, if not, send it back and get a medium and have it trimmed to the shorty height. As I had mine configured, it's way quiter than stock. However, I can feel the bike kind of wander at speeds greater than 70mph. I don't know if it's my worn tires or the southern California rain grooved freeways or the windshield being wider than stock and acting as a speed brake.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:07:03 pm by afterburner »

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:01 pm »
I thought I was ready to purchase a tinted shorty from Cal Sci.  But after comments from atvtinker and afterburner, about not seeing through a tinted shield, I have my doubts.

Question:  At 6'1" would the tinted shorty not be an issue in the lowest setting?

Also, I think the tinted shorty would look really nice on the Trophy, but needs to be functional too.

Offline uberchuckie

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 10:41:04 pm »
I'm going to try it out and see.  I don't like looking through the windscreen so I always have it setup so I'm looking over it.  It's going to cost me $40 to have it shipped back....
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2000 Honda CBR600F4 (track bike)

tweedy-bunch