Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Fitting an Angle GT  (Read 7768 times)

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Toowoomba
Fitting an Angle GT
« on: February 23, 2014, 02:56:21 am »
Well, the Angel ST 190*50 has been the worse tyre ever I've had the misfortune to remove.
Took two of us with liberal amounts of tyre mounting grease.

I've swapped out quite a few ST's on FJR's, the 180*55 were hard but nothing like the ST 190*50.

Ended up damaging the rear rim's paintwork, broke the tyre demounter and 3 rim protectors are now write-offs.

The Angel GT was a bit easier to mount, but still one of the hardest tyres to mount and I've done a few road race tyres.
Unlike other wheels, the valley of the rim is nonexistent on the Trophy's rear wheel .

I think I'll stick with PR3's, worry about it when I next try to demount the GT.

And to top it off, the paint work on the rear rim looks like a kid used a spray can.
You can squash up / wrinkle the paint just by using tyre levers and rim protectors.

The only saving grace was that I only needed 5 grams to balance out the wheel.
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Fitting an Angle GT
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:11:19 am »
Had the same experience, tire irons split the rim protectors!!!  Put on PR3's...  Wheels look nice but sure don't take very much abrasion.. Scratch very easily...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 05:25:51 am »
Hi janfmiller,

At least our balance adapters work great  :152:

I ended up putting on a PR2 up front, the front Angel ST was also a bugger to remove.

I wouldn't be surprised if forum members experience the same damage by the dealers, something to check. Take pics before / after.
It was the first time I have ever damaged rims.
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 05:47:34 am »
I change my own tyres, so thanks for the heads up.  I use this tool for mounting and demounting http://www.no-scufftiretool.com/ , but even so the tyres that go on the Honda ST1100 and ST1300 are damn stiff. The Trophy is yet to come...

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:56:05 am »
Hi saaz,
A small group of us bought the Cycle Hill gear in from the USA.

Normally works a treat on the FJR wheels. The Feegers wheels have a deeper valleys where you can push the beading into, a lot easier to mount and demount the tyre.

The trophy's wheels have a shallow valley, real hard just to get the demount tip past the beading.
It was that tight the cams on the Cycle Hill changer let go.

Have to order in some more rim protectors and modify the tyre irons.
The Cycle Hill spoon bars, which normally work a treat mounting a tyre, just couldn't finish off the tyre and had to use tyre irons.

Normally the beads pop in at about 10 - 15 psi, the GT took about 40 psi.
Use plenty of tyre lube and really clamp the wheel down.
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:44:08 pm »
Why so much trouble taking worn tires off the rims? CUT the flippin things off. That's why God made power tools. I don't break or bend tools, scratch rims, or cuss and bust knuckles. I just cut them, I have a nice Dremel tool with a small cutting blade for the "close to the rim" work. I have the old one off in no time and the rim cleaned and a new tire levered on fairly quickly. Actually you can Dremel through the cords at the bead and never get to close to the rim as there is a nice layer of rubber still there to protect the rim. Use whatever small, sharp, instrument you want to finish the job. I have an Exacto modelers knife with a heavy blade that works great. Tire off, rim still looks new and I still have all the skin on my knuckles. To each their own, but it works for me. It doesn't work well if you are trying to save a tire for the kids tire swing though   :430:

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:12:52 pm »
Good idea, never thought about it at the time.

Might play around and try cutting through an old tyre with one.

I tried cutting through a tyre on a XS rim using a cut off wheel, didn't work that well.
I'll give my dremel a go.
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:14:41 pm »
Cutting is an option. Getting the tyre off is the easiest part for me with that tool.