Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Monterey Ca. A little wine and sun.  (Read 9584 times)

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
Monterey Ca. A little wine and sun.
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:17:29 am »
April 24th boys. The Trophy gets her first big trip. I don't know how Im getting back home, depends on the Sierra Nevada snow pack. Theres some kickass roads on this route though. Last year I left on my trip April 19th and about drowned getting out of Orygun. This year it will be all sunshine!

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211874968962622830754.0004f3309e1acdf5da263&msa=0&ll=45.059942,-121.758728&spn=1.167937,2.548828

Pictures and a little ride report will be posted.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline andynmic

• Trophy Member
  • Motorcycling - The Greatest Escape
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 SE Launch
  • City / Town: Luton
Re: Monterey Ca. A little wine and sun.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:20:50 pm »
My brother and I did the very same route a few years ago - but in reverse. He lived in LA at the time. You will love the Lost Coast Highway (Google it) between Eureka and Gaberville. The first stage (southbound) is twisty open roads with good visability, then down along the coast and then heading back inland over the mountain twistys. One of my most memorable days riding I have ever done. You will love it. Just watch out for the lumber trucks on the mountain twistys as they come out wide and certainly caused a  :005: moment. Stay focussed and enjoy.    I'm there now !! :015:

:821: Andy
“Never knowingly understood”

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 02:00:09 pm »
Enjoy :028:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:12:01 pm »
I too did the same route, also in reverse, while riding back from Monterey to New York.  One of my brothers lived in Salinas for a while.  Ran a Kawasaki dealership out there but don't hold that against him.  Do stop and spend some time in Mendocino.  And before you start your ride brush up on your Steinbeck.  Especially"Travels with Charley"  and Cannery Row.  Maybe to a God Unknown and East of Eden if you have time.  When in Monterrey visit Cannery Row although now it bears no resemblance to Steinbeck's Cannery Row, actually no resemblance to the Cannery Row I first visited in 1976.   But it is still interesting to envision Steinbeck's Cannery Row characters while strolling the area.  Also stop in Salinas and visit Rosita's (if it is still there) it is a dive but great Mexican food, although no one spoke much English when I last visited.  Then make sure while in Salinas to run up to Fremonts Peak (it's mentioned in Travels with Charley).  Great twisties (but be careful) and when you get to the top, park, dismount and climb to the very top of the rock peak.  On a clear day you can see the ocean, usually not many people make the effort so it is a great time to clear your head or meditate. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:01:50 pm by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline afterburner

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 triumph trophy
  • City / Town: long beach, ca
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 04:39:48 pm »
I ride up to monterey twice a year from Southern ca on overnighters. Never get tired of riding up or down the Pacific Coast hwy on a nice sunny day.  But I'm putting in my 2 cents in to suggest to you to visit Phil ' fish market for a meal, up in Moss Landing,  about 12 miles north of monterey on the coast. It'll be the freshest restaurant seafood you'll ever have. Good too! Google it.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 04:44:29 pm »
Oh yeah, forgot about Phil's.  A definite.  On a clear day you can see Moss Landing from Fremont's Peak (but not, of course, Phil's)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:53:06 pm »
On the list. Thanks
I discovered the lost coast/Mottale rd by accident. Learned its one of those hidden jewels folks just pass on by.
Now if my sister just doesnt change all our plans again (guess whos in charge!)
3 days in Monterey eating and visiting. Aaahhhhhh.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:07:47 pm »
I should mention that you need to do the 17 mile drive when in Montery.  And if you have an extra couple of days, run down 1, Big Sur, San Simeon, even San Luis Obispo if you have time,  If you need to rush back you can always cut over to 5 and run back to the rainy north lands.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch