Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Six circuit fuse block installation question  (Read 5013 times)

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Six circuit fuse block installation question
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:13:05 pm »
 :087:I have a 12V 60A SPST relay and a Rivco 6 circuit fuse block to wire in for extra power and now I'm wondering if I also need a diode (and what type/rating) with the canbus system or not.  Maybe someone can tell me if I can use it as is or need a relay w/diode (again any particular type or rating)?  I plan on triggering it from the rear accessory socket, which I think is switched, to energize the fuse block.  I want to install 2 heated gear coax panel mount receptacles at 15A each, and I have an external waterproof USB port for power to my TOM Tom GO 730 automotiveGPS that I just built a waterproof housing for and it works like a charm.  With jacket liner, pants liner, boot liners, and glove liners, all the Gerbings together is 14.4A draw, although I seriously doubt that all those items would ever be full amp draw at the same time, but the powerlet hot socket is only 10A, so I worry about blowing a fuse.  The main goal is to make all the wiring neat and tidy under the seat without all the extras including the SAE battery charger lead attached to the battery terminals.  Any insight will be greatly appreciated!
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Toowoomba
Re: Six circuit fuse block installation question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 08:01:24 pm »
Hi,
The stop/tail lights are on the CBus while the inductors are not, I wouldn't tie anything into CBus link.
Could well effect communications / functions between the various ECU's / ECM's and leak smoke, $$$$$$$

I'd  keep any additional accessory wiring totally separate to the bikes.
Take the neutrals back to the battery and not the frame of the bike.
Also add a fuse to protect the main active wire as close as possible to the battery +ve terminal.

The 4 accessory sockets are switched on via various stages of the ignition switch.
Eg the rear passenger outlet is on when the bike is running, the outlet down the LHS on the engine is permanently on.
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:43:13 pm »
Queensland Ken,
Great news.  That's perfect since I don't really want any of this power on unless the bike is running, so I'll trigger it from the rear Powerlet socket.  I intended to fuse the positive at the battery, and use a Powerlet Termin8 for all the grounds so just one cable back to the battery for the ground as well, and it's booted so it won't contact any metal.  Nothing should be interfering with the canbus this way.  I don't guess any of this will make for any audio interference will it?  Thanks for such a quick reply.

Offline Queensland Ken

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Toowoomba
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 09:32:10 pm »
Your on the right track.
And you will not get any ground loops or electrolysis.
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 FJR 1300

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 10:13:24 pm »
*Originally Posted by Trophied [+]
including the SAE battery charger lead attached to the battery terminals.

You could charge the battery through the power port down on the left engine side.  It is straight through to the battery.  You won't need the SAE plug at all.  Just a BMW style adapter to your charging/tending unit.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:51:53 am »
I don't mind the SAE up front in the nose where they mounted it so much, but the fuse holder on it has a short positive wire and makes it hard to re-install the top panel over the battery, so I may do just that with the Powerlet outlet.  I got all the wires in the looms and run today, just need to solder all the terminal ends and button things up.  I ended up switching the relay from the power outlet wiring to the top case, the rear power receptacle looked like it would have been a real pain to access - at least to me at my age (if I take too much apart I may forget where it belongs-he he).  Now I'll have a nice waterproof USB up front for the GPS, and both the panel mount coax receptacles for heated gear with full power available.  The Rivco fuse block just fits in between some partitions under the seat next to the tool kit, and the ground terminal bar mounted with one screw and nylock nut on one end so it can swing up for easy access.
Thanks for all the help guys

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 05:43:11 pm »
As I type this, it sounds like such a trivial thing in my head,  but the thing that bugs me about the SAE connectors is the need for two hands to connect/disconnect.  That's just me.  As I said, a trivial annoyance.

To that point, at the IMS show last month, looking at some different side and top cases, (not looking for alternatives to OEM, just looking) I saw several that required two hands to open & shut/latch.  That would be a nonstarter for me unless other features outweighed that trivial-to-me annoyance.  That's just me.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 05:51:49 pm »
Agreed, one hand operation of anything is always better.  All finished now without an SAE connector and will pick up the Powerlet adaptor this afternoon or Tuesday at the dealer.