Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: GPS tracker alarm  (Read 1705 times)

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Manchester
GPS tracker alarm
« on: February 26, 2014, 06:01:50 pm »
saw one on ebay new at less than £90, designed to stick to a car with a powerful magnet for covert tracking. So my idea, and it's working so far, is took the magnetic plate off, fitted a blanking plate in place of it. fitted a pay as you go SIM charged the battery and fitted it inside the lid of the top box. The tracker can be controlled from your mobile by SMS. In standby mode the battery will last 60 days. If the sensor picks up vibration such as an attempt to move the bike or open the luggage the device wakes up the GPS and sends an alarm and location to your phone, view in Google maps.

Other options are to listen in via your phone, and turn the shock sensor off and one or set the level of sensitivity. many other functions such as crash emergency message
It can be charged from the bikes 12volt system if required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TK104-UK-GPS-GSM-GPRS-Vehicle-60days-Standby-time-Car-Tracker-Waterproof-Magnet-/281130942655?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: GPS tracker alarm
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:11:09 pm »
That looks a cool piece of kit.... I wonder if it will help qualify for any insurance discount??
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:15:11 pm »
gtgt2112 that is a good idea for a cool technology.  How skilled in electrics and/or computers do you have to be to install and track? 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:42:23 am »
No electronics skills required.

I had to make a plate to replace the magnet but that was a simple engineering task.

The instructions are in Chinese-English and almost unintelligible but I have made a note of the main commands, it can do a lot more, like if moved outside of a set boundary it will alarm. But I wanted to keep it simple, and not connect into the bike electrics, hence choosing the tracker with the built in battery.

It has an off/on switch once switched on it will locate the satellites for GPS and then send a text message to the programed mobile

When it triggers it sends a text to your phone with a link to Google maps, follow the link and you get a street map, accuracy is about 25 yards

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:48:43 am »
I am sure the insurance companies would insist on a professionally fitted and monitored tracker. My main idea was for an alarm for use on holiday, with the monitor function (which I have not field tested yet) it may be possible to listen in following and alarm to check if someone really is trying to steal the bike. If used with say a Triumph fitted alarm or on the the disc lock alarms I am sure you would be able to hear if the siren was making a noise.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 12:46:15 pm »
Yes... That is probably very true... I guess the issue would then be one of having the SIM card paid up so that it will send you messages  especially with a contract that won't cost the earth sending texts when you are overseas.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧