Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hi from South Louisiana  (Read 2920 times)

Offline bobmet820

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Lake Charles, LA
Hi from South Louisiana
« on: February 27, 2014, 05:36:32 pm »
I'm a 66 y/o retired Med Tech who has recently gotten back to riding after a 40 year hibernation. My first bike was a Honda 350, which was my only means of transportation when I returned to college to qualify for a Med Tech Internship. Met my needs, but was in the shop more than I thought it should be. Next came a Yamaha 903 Virago I purchased after a divorce. Didn't ride it as much as I thought I would, then it was stolen and found totally trashed and only good for salvage. The Virago taught me that Interstate travel was only comfortable for me with a touring bike, not a cruiser. Fast forward to 3 years ago when I as shopping for a used BMW Touring bike. My wife was against getting any bike that couldn't be serviced locally. Stopped by a HD dealership and got a good deal on a 2010 Road Glide. Had all the bells and whistles I wanted, so I bought it. Driving it out of the dealership, I dropped it and broke my ankle in the parking lot. Dealership delivered it next day, but I was out of business for 3 months. When I finally was able to ride again, it scared me, and I came to realize I couldn't handle a 850 lb bike. The following year, went back to same dealership and traded even for an 883 Sportster. They outfitted it with windscreen, phone/iPod audio system, and replaced the pegs with floor boards. Road this one much more than road glide, but wife still frightened of me on bike. Convinced me to trade in Sportster and Chrysler 300 for a Volvo Hardtop Convertible. It's really her car, and I don't drive it much, although I really love convertibles. Got the Bike Bug again and visited Triumph dealership on trip to NOLA and was impressed with Triumph Trophy. Got windscreen, audio, and much lighter than HD. The weight is really what impressed me. Would like feedback from other Trophy riders on their experience. Especially old curmudgeons like myself. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Hi from South Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:46:48 pm »
Welcome to the Forum :400:  No one is old when they get on a Trophy!
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 06:15:11 pm »
Welcome to our group!  You're gonna enjoy this bike - just don't let this one get stolen!

:821:
STONEY

Offline madmechanic

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: blackpool
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:16:03 pm »
Welcome hope you enjoy your tt
 51 myself but feel 66 and heading there very quickly  :008: and love the tt easy to handle , ride and enjoy you won't be disapointed :152: :047:

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:42:17 pm »
welcome aboard  :821: My first bike, back in 1972 was a Honda CB 250 Mk IV, still own it. Hope your wife will enjoy riding the Trophy.
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 06:56:19 pm »
Hello and welcome! :401:

Lots of great people full of help, advice and support...

As they say in all the friendliest places.... If you can't see what you are looking for..... ask!
 :002: :002:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 03:07:49 am »
 :005: Yikes, sounds like my last year's experience.  Mine just wasn't in the dealer's parking lot and was a result of a total lack of situational awareness regarding the footing at the edge of a gas station.  Shattered big toe and 24 miles from home. fortunately I was able to use a low speed route back and did manage to get it in the garage and parked.  ER visit, wait 4 days for a Podiatrist to do the surgery with a plate and screws, 8 more weeks in a boot, several months for it to approach normal again.  I think it has something to do with the magic 66 years or something and 800 lb. motorcycles, gotta be some numerology there somewhere.  Anyway I'm 67 later this month, and I love the Trophy.  PLEASE - no more drama in life!
Ride Safe
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline wingjack

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: tucson
Wecome
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:50:42 am »
I'm retired and 66 also.  My last ride was a 2007 Goldwing, also too heavy at over 900 lbs.  I will say that it was problem free for the 7 years I owned it.  Decided to go to the light side though.  Tried the Kaw Concours and didn't care for the heavy handling and hard seat also no radio like I was used to.  Rode the TT last year and liked it, but decided to wait a year to see if any problems.  Went down in December 2013 and bought there first 2014 in blue.  Only had a couple of problems in the past 4500 miles had to replace the front rotors and a right side bag support.  Runs great and gets good mileage, high 40's to low 50's if I take it easy.  The Wing was high 30's at best.  Go buy one, you won't be sorry!
Wingjack