Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Top Case Question  (Read 3097 times)

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
Top Case Question
« on: March 01, 2014, 10:43:50 pm »
I have a project in mind that requires me to separate the outer shell from the inner tray of the lower half of the top case.   I have removed every screw I can find, and nothing budges.  Does anyone know how this comes apart.  I have the service manual, and checked, but did not find anything.
Thanks 

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Top Case Question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:07:09 pm »
Hi Big D,

Have never taken one apart, but if it helps there's a Line Drawing here : World of Triumph Parts Locator
that shows 5 x M4 x 18mm Pan Head screws holding the painted cover in place.

Better still, here's a Link to the Fitting and assemby instructions ( which includes the sliding carriage ) :
Top Box & Sliding Carriage Instructions
I havene't had chance to read through it all, but hopefully it will have what you need  :028:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:14:41 pm by Coconut »

Offline madshep

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Boston, Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:52:13 pm »
If it's anything like the way BMW put theirs together (had to try and take one apart once to re-paint it) they use double-sided adhesive pads everywhere!
Even the BMW technicians said "don't even try -- you'll only end up breaking it"

Offline kurtmartin1027

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Trenton
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:24:58 pm »
the screws are prob put in with super glue.  When I assembled mine (I bought it and installed it myself) I have to assemble the two sections there were screws and I cant remember if there was adhesive tape involved.  But I did use a drop of glue on each screw for security. 
It may not be legal but I have a Dr's note!

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 05:37:15 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
Hi Big D,

Have never taken one apart, but if it helps there's a Line Drawing here : World of Triumph Parts Locator
that shows 5 x M4 x 18mm Pan Head screws holding the painted cover in place.

Better still, here's a Link to the Fitting and assemby instructions ( which includes the sliding carriage ) :
Top Box & Sliding Carriage Instructions
I havene't had chance to read through it all, but hopefully it will have what you need  :028:

Hey Coconut.  I have the instructions you reference from when I put mine together and installed the sliding carriage.   However I am looking to take the bottom half apart.  I tend to think as someone else mentioned that there is double sided tape involved.   That is what it feels like.  I have all of the screws out.  If that is the case I'll have to rethink things.
Thanks

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 05:39:52 pm »
*Originally Posted by madshep [+]
If it's anything like the way BMW put theirs together (had to try and take one apart once to re-paint it) they use double-sided adhesive pads everywhere!
Even the BMW technicians said "don't even try -- you'll only end up breaking it"

I suspect you are correct.  All of the screws are out with no evidence of same.  A new direction is in order.

Thanks

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 05:43:33 pm »
*Originally Posted by kurtmartin1027 [+]
the screws are prob put in with super glue.  When I assembled mine (I bought it and installed it myself) I have to assemble the two sections there were screws and I cant remember if there was adhesive tape involved.  But I did use a drop of glue on each screw for security.

I installed mine as well.  But that was the top half.  The lid.  I am looking to take the bottom half apart.
Screws aren't the problem.  They are out.  Probably the doubled sided tape mentioned else where.  That is exactly what it feels like.
Thanks

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 06:18:58 pm »
If it is tape and you can isolate where it is do you think a heat source such as a hairdryer would loosen the adhesive enough to get it apart?

tweedy-bunch