Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: What a manufacturing disarray  (Read 21922 times)

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
What a manufacturing disarray
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:46:52 am »
let me get this straight about recalls and malfunctions:

There is a fuel leak in the tanks
The center stand breaks
The ECU need to be replaced along with the software
I do remember the early leaking forks and seal replacement
The engine head need to be replace
And some kind of TSB (throttle sensor of some kind) is also being recall
not to mention the assorted electronic anomalies being reported here

Who in the flockingsheet is making these bikes. Its a like a master piece design being discombobulated at the assembly/manufacturing end.

I have never ridden a scooter better designed than the Trophy, but the dawg-gone thing is so ill constructed that must leave doubts in the mind of potential buyers. I am so glad I got rid of 2013 because I could not get the mech to acknowledge the flaws I was suspecting. Though I am mechanically lame, I have been riding these creatures for a long time and I know/feel when something ain't right...and 90% of the time I know exactly what ain't working right.

Now, considering a 2014 again, I am wondering if that is a wise decision. I really want a Trophy, but I don't want mech troubles--I don't have the time for that.

Is there anyone here who put long TROUBLE FREE mileage on a Trophy?

Are all Triumph motorcycles finicky like that?

I remember ridding a Bonneville in the 60s and that thing was impossible to keep tuned...was the last Triumph I owned till the Trophy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:51:37 am by Trumpet »
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: What a manufacturing disarray
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 06:33:38 am »
"Are all Triumph motorcycles finicky like that?"

I think you're confusing the first few year new model bugs to brand names. Who could ever make a reliable cycle the very first year when there are countless major changes from all other models?

I can tell you about the bugs when my 1971 BMW R75/5 was new, especially with those junky Bing Carbs back then. They made some good improvements around three years later.

And how second gear craps out in some of the   1983 to 1985  Ventures when they were new. And the water pump craps out. And several other issues that were fixed very well in the 1986 models.

In any new cycle design, it could take about three years just to find many of the bugs. So let's just hope most of these bugs are found during the warranty period. But if it's a real common problem,  that happens after the warranty expires, many, if not most  cycle manufacturers will extend the warranty just to fix the common problem that took time to show up, such as the very time consuming  2nd gear problem in the 1983-1985 ventures that started to show up in late 1985.

Triumph must be spending a lot of money on these recalls and warranty fixes. I have no complaints as I especially expect this on a new high tech bike such as the TTSE.

BTW, my TTSE is in the shop for the recalls right now, but I have had NONE of the issues. My dealer said he has not had one complaint about the center stand breaking. He also has not had a single complaint about the engine dying. I am glad I have a Triumph, and this is my first Triumph ever. I could bet if BMW made the TTSE they would not even admit there was a problem with any of this stiff, if they could get away with it. After all, I have not seen any of these recall issues with my bike.

BTW, the only way you can be sure if your bike needs any of the recalls, is for the dealer to run your VIN number for your bike ONLY.  For an example, my VIN is in range of EVERY recall. But my gas tank and gear shift level problem was fixed before I purchased the bike.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:21:04 am »
First of all I have Nothing wrong with my 2012 Triumph. Any little problem like heated grip icon not coming on was fixed immediately when went into the UK dealer.  But the grips worked so it wasn't such a big deal.

Mine has gone in for the recalls even tho I did not suspect any fault (I have also been riding many years on various bikes) My bike is always left on the centre stand when it is left for long periods. Never a problem.

So I am glad that Triumph are accepting the recalls and carrying out intensive work on the bikes. At least they have made an effort not like some who rate the cost of recalls to the amount of lives it kills and law suits.

Instead of blaming the bike consider the training standards of the mechanics in the US.

If the bike is so bad why is there so many out there who have them. And Triumph is a BRITISH icon . :233: :182:

seadog
seadog

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 07:56:59 am »
*Originally Posted by Trumpet [+]
Now, considering a 2014 again, I am wondering if that is a wise decision. I really want a Trophy, but I don't want mech troubles--I don't have the time for that.
Even some of the 2014's need the recalls. And more could be coming as more put years and miles on their TTSE's.

So if you don't have time for the bugs but still want a TTSE, IMO, you should wait at least until 2016. By then, every bug and problem should be well known.

BTW, it was one of my concerns too. But I decided I could deal with the bugs and I bought my 2013 last Nov.

BTW, the 2014 models are not yet here in the Reno area. But in this case, what difference does it make? It's the same bike with different stamps.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:59:17 am »
*Originally Posted by Trumpet [+]
Is there anyone here who put long TROUBLE FREE mileage on a Trophy?

My first Triumph ever, 10000 kms on the clock: one melted fuse, nothing else. Would I buy it again: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Mad Dog

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 09:26:58 am »
16000 K's and still going strong.  Had all recalls done as a matter of course but I had no issues prior.  Waiting on the head "upgrade" just because I can.  I can remember several recalls with my ST1300 throughout 100000k's.
No such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing.

Offline KenSmith

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Corbin, Kentucky
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 10:50:44 am »
My Trophy has had way more problems than any other new vehicle I've ever owned. The only bike I had that was even close to this level of trouble was a Harley.

I think the best plan for getting a good Trophy is for those of you who are great mechanics and those of you who are blindly in love with Triumph to keep buying the bike. Y'all will expose the issues and by 2016 or 2017 those of us who just want to ride will be able to get a good Trophy.

Honda or Yamaha would not have released a bike with this many unresolved problems. Honda builds dull bikes for folks who just want to ride. I'll take a dull Honda that runs over an exciting Triumph sitting in the shop any day.

After the experience I've had with this Trophy I started looking at various internet forums. I am stunned at the amount of excuses people make for poor performing machines on the Harley, BMW, and Triumph forums. This crap wouldn't cut it with a Japanese vehicle.

Folks who ride Japanese bikes tend to have less brand loyalty. They just want a good vehicle. Folks who buy Harley, BMW, and Triumph seem to be more religious in their devotion to their chosen brands.

A very small number of Gold Wings had frame cracks early in the run of the GL1800. The Honda riders did not make a bunch of excuses. They expressed their unhappiness and Honda fixed the problem. There was an issue with early ST1300s and Honda fixed most of those before they even made it to the dealers.

I'll have a new Honda later this month and my Trophy will be demoted to occasional weekend use. When I get 150,000 miles on the Honda in three or four years, I'll consider getting another Trophy.

I won't ever consider another gasoline powered vehicle that requires nightly charging. That is just plain stupid. Triumph needs to have that issue fixed before any sane person should be expected to lay out his hard-earned money for a supposedly premium tourer.
Ken Smith
Corbin, Kentucky
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere - Coming Soon
2013 Triumph Trophy SE - Going Soon
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 11:13:52 am »
*Originally Posted by KenSmith [+]
I won't ever consider another gasoline powered vehicle that requires nightly charging.

I don't know how that got started but I bought mine in April of 2013 and it was never put on a charger until I put it away for the winter in November.  Never.   That included a 3,500 mile trip in a different town each night.  I never had the slightest problem or concern. Without a doubt there were periods when the bike sat in the garage without being even started for two weeks or so.  I can think of one period when it sat idle for three weeks plus while I was out of town.
I'm not making excuses or defending it.   It sounds like Triumph is not for you.  Mine has been absolutely flawless. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:19:21 am by BigD »