Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: R&G crash bars - check those bolts!  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
R&G crash bars - check those bolts!
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:53:35 am »
While looking around the bike installing a more permanent CB radio setup, I noticed one of the bolts on the left hand side was missing, as was one on the right!  Both were the bottom bolts.  I torqued them up according to the instructions (I have allen key sockets).  I went out and bought another set of bolts so they all match, and this time put on a spring washer and used some thread locker. Then nipped them up by hand with a ring spanner agaist the spring washer until the bolts seated nicely.

So I would advise checking the bolts after riding a while, as perhaps they just needed a follow up torquing.  I think I have ridden 5000kms or so since installing them, some of that over some rough gravel and bitumen roads.

Offline kurtmartin1027

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Trenton
Re: R&G crash bars - check those bolts!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:26:32 am »
Thanks for the heads up.  I am about to put mine on soon.  Do you recomend uaing different bolts or just a sprong washer?
It may not be legal but I have a Dr's note!

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:34:59 am »
Original bolts are fine, just a spring washer and loctite. I could not match the original allen head bolts so put four matching ones on.  Checking the tension a few weeks after the install and riding may be advisable, and I should have checked that looking back, as anyhting new needs to be checked not long after.

*Originally Posted by kurtmartin1027 [+]
Thanks for the heads up.  I am about to put mine on soon.  Do you recomend uaing different bolts or just a sprong washer?

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:48:16 am »
Hi John,

Thanks for the "Heads Up" on this.

Just for clarity, here's a Photo - I assume it's the lower of these bolts on both sides ?

I've re-visited my "HOW TO : Remove the Fariring AND fit R & G Adventure ( Crash ) Bars Topic,
to confirm it mentions that these need to be regularly checked,
and have just double checked my own to make sure they are still nice and tight  :028:

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:09:24 am »
Yes, it was the lower of the two bolts. Weird really why just those.  Why not one upper and one lower?  The bolts just disappeared!

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 08:24:18 pm »
Ugg, what an ugly weld job and discoloration!! :010:  Time to take those crash bars off and have 'em powder coated my Moto-Brother!  -Dr Ron :018:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 10:41:23 am »
I can't speak highly enough of them after yesterday's Ponderosa Cafe outing !  :087:

I don't ( didn't ) notice the "ugly" welding or blueing ... purely cosmetic,
it's the protection they afford(ed) that gets my vote  :169:

I wonder if I'll get a discount for the next set  :015: