Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New Rear Tire  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
New Rear Tire
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:05:09 pm »
I changed out the rear tire at 9800 miles when the cord started showing through.  I tried to remember getting more mileage out of a tire, but I think that's the most mileage I've ever gotten out of a tire.  At least that's the longest I can remember.

It's funny because I had just looked at the tire a couple weeks before and I thought it looked good--I need to look closer in the future.

The only tire I could get on short notice was a Road Pilot 3 and they didn't have one for the front to match.  That tire still has miles left on it, but I like to change them in sets because they feel so good when new.

I'm thinking of going to the Road Pilot 4 GT with the next set.  Any comments good or bad?  It's fairly new and my dealer hadn't installed any of them yet.

Offline Scubadvr

• Trophy Pro
  • The journey IS the destination!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: GSF1250SA Bandit
  • City / Town: St. Louis
Re: New Rear Tire
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:08:27 pm »
I just put a PR4 on the rear of my Bandit last week. 

I was not happy at all with the PR3s on my bike.  The front lasted only 6,500 miles (vs 10,000 miles for PR2), with no real noticeable difference in grip, wet or dry.  The rear PR3 did a little better, lasting to 8,000 miles (again, the PR2 went to 10K.)

The PR4 is supposed to have the same grip as the PR3's, but longer mileage.  Now, this is a standard (non-GT) PR4 that I just mounted, but the tread is noticeably thicker than on the PR3, and there is a slightly different design with the sipes.  I can't give you any more info than that, because the roads are still so full of salt I don't want to ride again until a good rain washes everything off the streets.

So, I'm currently running a PR2 in the front (the PR4 wasn't out yet), and the PR4 in the rear.  Very stable; time will tell on the mileage.

FWIW

tweedy-bunch