Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Engine Malfunction Light  (Read 2440 times)

Offline patches

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: PNW
Engine Malfunction Light
« on: March 06, 2014, 04:06:07 am »
Anyone had the engine malfunction light come on then go out a couple of starts later?  I thought once it stored a fault it stayed there until you cleared it.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Engine Malfunction Light
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:19:00 am »
*Originally Posted by patches [+]
Anyone had the engine malfunction light come on then go out a couple of starts later?  I thought once it stored a fault it stayed there until you cleared it.
Do you own a DealerTool? The code should be in memory even if the MIL is no longer lit. The light might only indicate when the problem happens, but the reason should be stored in memory that you can retrieve and erase with the DealerTool.

In some vehicles, the MIL (malfunction Indicator Lamp) does different things with different problems. Some will latch on even after the problem is gone, some go out instantly when the problem is gone. Some require so many restarts to clear. Your best bet is always a shop manual to explain the way the different codes act. But regardless of the MIL being lit or not, the code stays in memory until you erase it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Mad Dog

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: R1250RT
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:32:42 am »
Had MIL light come on with gear position sensor issue.  Light went out after approx. 5 starts.  Error code was still in ECU.
No such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:09:22 pm »
Any error that put the light on will be logged to be read later (dealer tool etc) BUT if it is a transitory fault (i.e. just a blip that went away again) then the Triumph rule seems to be cycle from cold to hot to cold 3 times and the light goes out if the fault has not re-occured.  This is what it is on the tiger and sprint so no reason to think it would not be on the TT as well.

Offline patches

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 07:52:35 pm »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
Any error that put the light on will be logged to be read later (dealer tool etc) BUT if it is a transitory fault (i.e. just a blip that went away again) then the Triumph rule seems to be cycle from cold to hot to cold 3 times and the light goes out if the fault has not re-occured.  This is what it is on the tiger and sprint so no reason to think it would not be on the TT as well.

That is pretty close to what happened.  I know it went cold to hot twice but might have been three times depending on what cold-hot actually is.

I don't have a DealerTool so will have to wait till my dealers tech gets back from training next week to have them read the code.

Offline patches

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 05:22:42 pm »
Turned out to be a loose O2 sensor connector.  Didn't get seated right after the ECU and head replacement.  Also fixed an oil leak coming from the valve cover.  Same cause.

tweedy-bunch