Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hi from Surrey, UK  (Read 2811 times)

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Hi from Surrey, UK
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
Hi all,

Just ordered my blue SE yesterday after a couple of hours on a demo ride. Should be ready in about 5 weeks.

Been riding Pan Europeans for about 17 years and after waiting over 4 years for Honda to bring out the new model I got fed up waiting.

I test rode the 2010-model R1200RT a few years ago but was unimressed with the engine. After years riding V4's it felt like riding a lawnmower!

Have been looking at the Trophy from the first rumours and spy photos and was very interested. The finished bike is fab. As has been said in the press, it looks like a BMW RT wearing a Pan European face mask, which is fine with me, although it looks a lot bigger than my ST1300 when sitting in the saddle.

The engine is superb and pulls well. The handling is excellent and hides the bike's weight while it is moving even at low speed, but you have to be very careful coming to a stop. If it starts tipping over there is no way you can stop it- believe me  :012:

All in all I was extremely impressed with the bike (SE), so much so that I ordered my bike then and there. The only issue I had was a slight pulling in my lower back. I am 6'4" and find the bars a little far away. I have bar risers on my Pan- anybody know where I can get some for the Trophy? I suspect it's too new for anybody to be doing them just yet, but they shouldn't be long coming.

I hope we have a good Spring- I have two weeks holiday just after the bike is due!
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Surrey, UK
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:34:09 AM »
Hi and welcome,

Had my silver Trophy since 7th Jan and just had the 500 mile service done, also had R&G Adventure bars fitted at the same time (re tipping over), they aren't cheap but a good investment.

I also tried an '11 RT and found it agricultural, can't see why people rave about it, each to their own I suppose!!!! My wife said she could not do any distance on one due to the vibration through the pegs and seat!!!

I have had Sprint ST's and a GT (all ultra smooth) last but as age has crept on (mine) felt a more upright riding position was required, and like yourself from feet up on my test ride with the Trophy the weight was not an issue and bike sold. :152:

Enjoy.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:01:49 AM »
Finally, after a small delay due to a busy life the day has arrived to pick up the new bike.

Woke up and opened the curtains to find- IT'S SNOWING!!

At least here in southern England the snow is relatively light and not settling, unlike in the North where it is causing chaos.

The snow is due to ease (possibly!) this afternoon so it's going to be a nervous wait. Either way it looks like I will be tiptoeing home on the new tyres! Really happy I decided to have the crash bars fitted before collection  :012:

Will update when (if?) I manage to get the bike safely in my garage.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
Got to dealer, bike was at front of showroom looking lovely, just a couple of problems- none of the R&G crash kit fitted and no satnav mount. Both apparently due in stock early next week. Decided not to ride home on shiny new tyres in sleet without the bars. Collection rearranged for Easter Saturday. Hopefully the snow/sleet/wind/freezing temperatures will have finished by then and nice Spring weather will have arrived. I can live in hope!  :012:

Also, the salesman didn't tell me (because he didn't realise) that they need my satnav lead to fit to the bike as the Triumph part is simply a bracket onto which the Garmin assembly is fitted. I thought it was a complete custom assembly into which I could simply drop my Nuvo 660. Wrong! Looks like I am going to have to dismantle my Pan European sooner than expected.

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »
If they are going to fit it free of charge I would take the loom down there, I did mine two days ago and it is quite a long job, there is absolutely no point in them just fitting the bracket (as my dealer did) as you have to take it off again to fit the wiring loom in the groove in the centre of the bracket. The bracket is about £40 and the Triumph wiring adaptor is about £8 which allows you to make use of the installed power connector inside the left fairing. Get them to loop the fuse holder into the back of the left mirror so if it blows you can change it easily. There is another thread about sat nav mounts with more info which would be worth reading if you decide to DIY.
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 08:45:30 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Yes, the dealer is fitting it at their cost as agreed when the sale was made. The idea was that the mount should have been fitted during the build, which would have meant very little extra work for them. As the part was out of stock it meant that they ended up building the bike without it. The fact that they now have to dismantle the front end again is their fault and so their cost.

I have actually decided to order another wiring harness rather than remove the one from my Pan. The question is whether it will be here in time to be fitted before Saturday (the dealer is closed on Good Friday). If it doesn't get here in time I will have the bracket fitted at the 500 mile service, which is what the dealer was going to do anyway.

I will mention the fuse location to the dealer when I drop the new loom off.

Atb, BP

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »
Hi Blue Pilot
Not related are we?
I'm 6'4'' Have a 2003 ST1300 and haven't changed bikes til now, as I couldn't find one comfortable enough 2up, with the ST's attributes. They are still selling 2010 ST's down here, with no new model in the foreseeable future.
My Blue Trophy is due for delivery next Thursday. I find the handling of the Trophy closer to sporting over the ST, which is very stable but a bit slow steering in comparison. A bigger rear tyre is also welcome, as the rear on the ST tends to rip up, scallop and slide when pushed.
Hard decision to change, but, I think for the better.
Have fun
Rob

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
Hi Rob,

Doubt it, but strangely enough my sister-in-law and her family emigrated to Adelaide about 5 years ago!

The ST1300 (Pan European over here) was a superb bike in it's day and is still a very good one, but things have moved on and Honda have not kept pace. In their day the ST1100 (of which I had 4 over the years) and the ST1300 set the benchmarks for the serious tourer. Honda have taken their eye off the ball and let BMW build a better bike, although the boxer engine of the RT feels horrible compared to ST's V4. For years we were promised a replacement based on the VFR's 1200 engine, but Honda decided to chase fashion with GS and "crossover" style bikes instead rather than deliver for their loyal ST fans.

In the end you, me and many other ST loyalists got fed up with empty promises and an ageing design and looked for a suitable replacement. Many went for the R1200RT as, despite the rattly engine it was considered "best in class". You and I held out for something better and Triumph have delivered in spades.

The Trophy beats the ST and th RT into a cocked hat. I will be taking my Trophy on a quick visit to my Honda dealer for a goodbye and as an example of what happens when companies don't update, fail to follow through on promises and leave loyal customers dangling.

The Triumph era begins!

Cheers,
BP

tweedy-bunch