Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: ECU and Heads  (Read 7550 times)

Offline wingjack

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: tucson
ECU and Heads
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:34:56 pm »
Got off the phone with tech in Georgia.  My 2014 TT has an ECU recall but it's voluntary, same with heads.  Not all TT's have had problems and mine is one of the lucky ones.  I've had mine for 3 months and 5000 miles with no running problems at all.  Engine isn't noisy to me.  I have 2 years to have these things done if I chose.  Why fix it if it aint broke is the old saying! 
Wingjack

Offline sungunr

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Arizona
Re: ECU and Heads
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:02:37 am »
Hey Jack,

Dropped off the bike with Mike and Phil to get the ECU, sidestand and 500 mile checkup today.  Mike said the Triumph rep will be in town in the next week or so, I plan to take the bike up and let them do the check thing.  BTW riding back down to Patagonia this Sunday for Breakfast, then to Nogales and then back up I19 leaving at 0730 from the same place.  Please consider yourself invited of course.  There will be a BMW with us this trip also, so we can make fun of his bike :001:.  The Star rider will be there and maybe the Vision owner.   Almost makes this a UN bikers ride.  Try to avoid the interstate shutdowns... :821:
"That's bold talk from a one eyed fat man"

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 06:18:26 am »
I am very surprised they have said the ECU recall is voluntary....  :005:

The ECU recall has been linked to the engine cutting power completely at speed which was initially put down to a faulty TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

There are a number of people on here who had that happen and from the sounds of it , it was VERY much new underwear time!

I would not delay the ECU recall at all, get it booked in as soon as you can!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 06:46:08 am »
*Originally Posted by wingjack [+]
Got off the phone with tech in Georgia.  My 2014 TT has an ECU recall but it's voluntary, same with heads.  Not all TT's have had problems and mine is one of the lucky ones.  I've had mine for 3 months and 5000 miles with no running problems at all.  Engine isn't noisy to me.  I have 2 years to have these things done if I chose.  Why fix it if it aint broke is the old saying!
I seriously doubt that any safety recall can be considered voluntary while at the dealer with any vehicle, BY LAW."

“It is like saying I voluntarily paid my income tax,”

Of course, nothing forces you to bring the bike in. But when it's once in, safety recalls MUST be done by law (at least here in the USA).  That means the centerstand and the ECM, unless they can prove there is no need for the recall on the 2014 bikes, but if that's the case, why is it even "voluntary"? Just makes no sense.

The engine noise TSB is not a safety recall, so I can believe the dealers can get out of doing that one. But the ECM is a safety recall. It says so right on the TSB "Safety Recall Notice 505, issue 1, January 2014". You can view it here on the very first message.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Custer, WI.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:55:59 pm »
wingjack--

I'd seriously consider doing the Cylinder Head and Cam Chain TSB.  Based on the Triumph's Explorer/Tiger motorcycles, noise associated with the valve train and cam chain occur will occur as you accumulate mileage on the bike.  Your bike may not sound bad now but it mostly likely will down the road reducing the ownership experience and possibly reducing your resale.  Triumph has identified design issues with both areas and has re-engineered them to eliminate the issues.

After you've experienced cam chain rattle for 20 - 30 seconds during start-up and you'll be convinced.  BTW, my cam chain started rattling intermittently at 1500 miles.

--John

Offline sungunr

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Arizona
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 02:53:59 pm »
*Originally Posted by Papermaker [+]
wingjack--

I'd seriously consider doing the Cylinder Head and Cam Chain TSB.  Based on the Triumph's Explorer/Tiger motorcycles, noise associated with the valve train and cam chain occur will occur as you accumulate mileage on the bike.  Your bike may not sound bad now but it mostly likely will down the road reducing the ownership experience and possibly reducing your resale.  Triumph has identified design issues with both areas and has re-engineered them to eliminate the issues.

After you've experienced cam chain rattle for 20 - 30 seconds during start-up and you'll be convinced.  BTW, my cam chain started rattling intermittently at 1500 miles.

--John

John,

I am considering having the Cylinder Head and Cam Chain TSB work done on my 2013, as it "seems" loud (tapping and chirping/warbling hard to describe).  Anything you noticed before and after you had yours done you can share?  I thought about putting the work off so it doesn't interrupt my riding this spring.  Maybe wait until July when the weather is less pleasant. 
"That's bold talk from a one eyed fat man"

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:15:25 pm »
*Originally Posted by Papermaker [+]
I will certainly have mine done at the very first symptoms, but mine still has no unusual noises at any time with more than 2,000 miles / 3200 KM.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 03:19:53 pm »
*Originally Posted by sungunr [+]
I am considering having the Cylinder Head and Cam Chain TSB work done on my 2013, as it "seems" loud (tapping and chirping/warbling hard to describe).
That is the noise the TSB update should fix. How many miles did you have on the bike when you first begin to notice it?  IMO, you should have it done. I cannot complain about mine as I hear no trace of any unusual noise.

-Don-  Reno, NV