Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Stuff to carry to stay legal in Europe  (Read 14067 times)

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
Stuff to carry to stay legal in Europe
« on: March 08, 2014, 04:05:31 pm »
Quite a number of countries have their own rules about what we have to carry with us. I was surprised that Triumph do not have a "touring pack" of the necessary (spare lamps, high viz, etc.)
The actual requirements do change depending on where you go and careful research still does not allow for the enthusiastic "officer" with their own interpretation

Has anyone got their favourite selections of "bits" that they could share?  Where on the bike do you keep them?
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Stuff to carry to stay legal in Europe
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 05:49:47 pm »
I was surprised that Triumph do not have a "touring pack" of the necessary (spare lamps, high viz, etc.)

Maybe because in the UK you don't legally have to carry anything extra at all ?   :084:

I usually carry : The Triumph tool roll which has that all essential Allen key for removing the Battery cover,
and the side panel for access to fuse boxes, an additional "Multi-Tool", spare fuses, spare bulbs,
a tyre repair kit, small electric tyre pump, Tyre Pressure gauge, First Aid kit inc. "Space" blanket,
Torch, Spare alarm fob batteries, mini cross head screwdiver ( for the alarm fob ),
iPod, cables for charging iPod, iPhone and Helmet Bluetooth, dual USB Cigar lighter adapter,
Side stand "Camel foot", Emergency cash, Triumph "D" Lock, and a pair of lightweight waterproof overtrousers.

All spread around in the panniers, top box, under seat storage and glove box  :028:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:33:10 pm »
Not all legal but I take

Small pump, Tyre gauge, tye wraps, puncture repair and breathalyzer under seat.  In radio box spare fuses all sizes (not just for me but for others in the group.  Got us out of difficulties often).  Spare bulbs and reflective jackets along with intercom stuff in tank bag with small first aid kit.  Reflective stickers on helmets.  Cables to charge stuff and mains charger.  Spare key (with pillion).  Cable lock in top of top box.  Roll of insulating tape in pocket.

Spare dry gloves.
Of course on top of that tablet or laptop for storing videos and to programme the satnav.   iPod in glove box used as camera as well. Tracker plugged in to USB adapter in glove box.

As said triumph tool roll with extra multi tool.  Phone and credit card.  I have found French pumps Better at taking English cards but not 100%

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:23:42 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
spare fuses, spare bulbs,

Which bulbs and fuses?
FWIW I note that the rear/brake light is LED :002:
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 09:20:30 pm »
Headlamp bulb, Indicator bulbs, and the little 5w capless front & rear "Side" lights,
plus a selection of different amperage fuses  :028:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:27:43 pm »
The tt is the small fuse like the sprint but I carry both just in case for different bikes.  I did get some Maxis as well but they don't fit much.

of course forgot visor cleaner?

for some countries youhave to have spare glasses and of course driving license (and other bike docs or you could find a spell in custody until they can verify?)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:31:22 pm by john348 »

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 05:24:29 pm »
I always take a puncture repair kit, the plug type. I stripped a 12 volt tire pump out of its plastic case and it's small enough to fit under the seat. Other musts are a torch and a Swiss army penknife.

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 11:35:54 pm »
I believe you are now required to carry a first aid kit in Germany but couldn't quote you the regulation. I have a lockable watertight boxed kit, TUV approved, that bolts on behind the number plate.

If you want to know I'll get the details from it later and post them up.

It would be a good idea if someone could list the lamps (not bulbs please  :155: ) and fuses with a photo and specs for those interested to make up their own kit. I'd do it but I haven't got mine yet  :161:

tweedy-bunch