Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Quick fix for clunking solenoid  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Keith-Trophyhusband

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Vanilla blue one
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Quick fix for clunking solenoid
« on: March 08, 2014, 04:42:23 pm »
So I picked up my bike last Saturday, had its first service on Wednesday and have now done 700 odd miles and am loving the bike, especially the handling. But that blooming clunking from the glove box every time you come to a stop is infuriating, especially as it took me two days to work out what it was. If like me your not bothered about the glove box being locked ( let's face it you would be mad to leave any valuables in the thing given how flimsy the lock is) but are bothered by the clunk then you might consider the following.
Turn on the ignition so it unlocks and remove the two Allen headed bolts that secure the glove box, pull the box backwards while applying gentle upward pressure so it disengages from the two rubber grommets holding it in place. Disconnect the electrical plug for the solenoid and then remove the two T20 bolts holding the solenoid and it's housing. Secure the redundant wire with a cable tie to stop it getting in harms way and refit the glove box. Keep the solenoid somewhere safe for refitting when you fancy being driven made by its clunking some time in the future.
Your glovebox will now be permanently unlocked but at least you will be rid of the dreaded clunk.

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
Re: Quick fix for clunking solenoid
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:06:07 am »
You must have had a bad one Keith, can't say I have noticed the glove box solenoid switching in and out at all. :084:
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline Sanctuary

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Underwater / S West
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:35:15 am »
*Originally Posted by Trophy 59 [+]
You must have had a bad one Keith, can't say I have noticed the glove box solenoid switching in and out at all. :084:

Same here or maybe I just have the music to loud to hear !  :164:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:10:09 am »
Having just gone and really listen for it I did notice it but have never noticed while in normal use.

Although I may not keep anything particularly valuable in there I do have a few odds and ends like a windup LED torch, an iPhone cable, the contact cover plate for the sat nag cradle and a micro fibre cloth. Nice to know they are locked away enough to prevent casual / curious wandering hands from filching!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Wells

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Gainesville
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:30:51 pm »
I have noticed this clunking with mine. It doesn't really bother me, but I do hear it.

However, it is nice to know that there is also a procedure out there that can take care of the problem if I do decide it is too annoying.
Other Bikes:
Honda 919
Honda CB750A Hondamatic

Offline ThickBrit

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2 x TT, now an SE
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:36:29 pm »
Is this 'mod' wise? Would it not invalidate the warranty on at least that item?
I don't have the problem on my bike, though it's not an SE.
One wonders (since the A1 cubby hole locks at 5mph etc) if it is the locking mechanism that is clunking.... :084:
DVSA ERS trainer
National Diploma in advanced motorcycle instruction
IAM Masters (with Distinction)
IAM National Observer and Local Observer Assessor

Offline Wells

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Gainesville
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »
*Originally Posted by ThickBrit [+]
Is this 'mod' wise? Would it not invalidate the warranty on at least that item?
I don't have the problem on my bike, though it's not an SE.
One wonders (since the A1 cubby hole locks at 5mph etc) if it is the locking mechanism that is clunking.... :084:

I don't see how. All you are doing is disabling the device by unplugging it, not changing it in any meaningful manner. You can plug it back in at any time.
Other Bikes:
Honda 919
Honda CB750A Hondamatic

tweedy-bunch