Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Greetings from Atlanta  (Read 5071 times)

Offline PQB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Atlanta
Greetings from Atlanta
« on: March 08, 2014, 06:14:10 pm »
Cheers!  Glad to be here!  Just got this bike after 23 years on a 1989 Gold Wing.  I don't want to deal with the 900 lb. monsters anymore and so I read every review I could find on sport tourers and picked the Trophy.  It was either this or the 1200RT - I had a series of Beemers R26, R50 and R80RT before the Gold Wing and even though the boxer engines worked well, they were all pretty buzzy at higher speeds.  Also the 2013 Trophy was SUBSTANTIALLY less expensive and is fully equipped.  Anyway, I've only done 100 miles in the past day, but am pleased to say that: 1) Even though the gas tank is a monster, I have no sense of it being "top-heavy;" 2) I don't find it buzzy at freeway speeds; 3) the stereo system is OK listening to XM at freeway speeds even with my short helmet; 4) it handles as though it were half it's weight; 5) the cruise control system is a little tricky particularly because I find myself inadvertently rolling up the throttle which is unbelievably responsive compared to what I am used to; 6) it will take me some time to get used to how responsive this bike is.  I am 6'5 and like tall windshields so I ordered one, the top trunk and heated grips.  I do have a couple of questions for you folks who know much more than I do about this bike.  First, anybody using the "comfort" seat and, if so, how does it compare to the stock?  I am planning 5000 mile road trip this summer and need to know whether the stock seat will kill me or my passenger in the long haul - obviously I got used to the sofa-like seat on the Gold Wing.  Second, I am going to need soft luggage to strap on top of the top box - anybody have any suggestions or, for that matter, has anybody installed an aftermarket luggage rack on the top box?  Thanks!  PQB

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Greetings from Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:41:48 pm »
*Originally Posted by PQB [+]
the cruise control system is a little tricky particularly because I find myself inadvertently rolling up the throttle which is unbelievably responsive compared to what I am used to;
I use a ThrottleMeister which holds the throttle perfectly still to use the cruise control. But with the ThrottleMeister, I rarely find much use for the cruise control.
anybody have any suggestions or, for that matter, has anybody installed an aftermarket luggage rack on the top box? 
Yes, see here. The Givi E-81

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline big bird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hatfield PA
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 07:45:46 pm »
 :401: and good luck with your new Trophy . Yes I to found it very easy to get use to riding the Trophy , just a little top heavy when pushing it around the garage . The seat is an issue after riding more than 2 hour . Looking at a Russell Day Long seat, I found the radio to be useless . But the way the bike handle and run is better than my BMW Rt
BB
BB
1979 Yamaha  SR 500
2013 Suzuki 250 GW

Offline PQB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:57:22 pm »
Thanks for both thoughts.  I found there to be a substantial negative difference between the XM and standard FM.  Why I don't know.  Will check the other stuff out.  PQB

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 08:10:01 pm »
Thanks for both thoughts.  I found there to be a substantial negative difference between the XM and standard FM.  Why I don't know.  Will check the other stuff out.  PQB
I only use the XM radio. It works very well.  I ride  out of range of anything else!

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:51:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  I did the same research as you and came to the same conclusion. The Trophy was definitely the right choice!  I can't help you on the comfort seat question, but I've put a couple of 400+ mile days on the bike, and it was pretty comfortable until mile 250 or so for me. Nothing major, though; still finished the day pain-free. Going to look at other options anyway.  Bill Mayer Saddles is only a little over an hour from my house, so that's where I'll probably end up. Russell Day-Long and Rick Mayer (Bill's brother) are both in Northern California; good stuff, but I want a custom seat fit to me & the Mrs.  I'll know better after next weekend, as I'll put another 1000 miles or so from Friday-Sunday!

Enjoy & ride safe!

STONEY

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 12:12:52 am »
Welcome to this forum  :821:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline PQB