Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Not so bad after all  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Mick

• Trophy Member
  • mderrig
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
Not so bad after all
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:51:18 AM »
I have had my Luna Silver Trophy SE for 2 weeks now. I have been able to ride for five days in that time and having just ticked over 1,100 kms I have booked it in for the first service. And despite all the doom and gloom in some of these posts, I am happy to report that I have not had a single issue with this bike. In fact it has performed like an absolute dream. I previously had a 2010 Thunderbird which I really enjoyed. Now, after having the Trophy, the Thunderbird feels like riding a tractor. I am so impressed with the performance of the motor, handling and brakes on this bike. All the Bells and whistles are nice, but without that motor they would be meaningless. Anyone having second thoughts about the trophy, be reassured, it is worth every cent.

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Not so bad after all
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:56:38 AM »
Hi Mick,
Very interested in your thoughts. I too have a Thunderbird and am taking a Trophy for a test ride on Wednesday.
I'm thinking about changing for 2 up comfort, luggage space and more fun in the twisties as I feel the Bird is a bit limited in this area. I have loved it though, been a lot of fun. I didn't notice much until I rode a K1200S and a 1050 Tiger. The Trophy came out just as I started thinking about changing from a cruiser style bike.

Simon
Simon

Offline Mick

• Trophy Member
  • mderrig
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:05:31 AM »
I really loved the Thunderbird and thought I would keep it for a long time. But I started to do more touring on it, adding a screen and bags and sissy bar. I did 36,000 kms in 2 years. Then when I first saw a review of the Trophy I was very interested. I took it for  a test ride which was way to short but still liked it. I remember reading a review that said when you first get on it it feels like the deck of a aircraft carrier. That came back to me when I first sat on it. But that impression doesn't last for long. When I finally got it out on the road  I did 450 kms in the day. 6 hours in the saddle. At first I was concerned about the seating position and especially having my legs tucked up instead of stretched out in front. But by the end of that first long day I was feeling fresh and comfortable. I've never looked back. And I'm sad to say that I have never missed the Thunderbird since. I love the motor on the Trophy. So different from the Thunderbird. I really enjoy being able to wind it on and let it rev. Very satisfying feeling. And being able to check tyre pressure on the go, adjust preload at the push of a button, raise the screen just far enough to block rain and/or road noise makes life that much easier and allows you to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Offline Bashafoc

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Fingest
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 07:27:51 AM »
I too traded in my Thunderbird! Seems a popular decision, shame as it was a great bike, but, as mentioned not good for touring. I've now had my Trophy for 2 weeks and the phrase "chalk and cheese"  comes to mind. It is a large bike but handles beautifully, I am looking forward to the summer and the touring season, so comfortable, smooth and relaxed :046:

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
Couldn't agree more :152: Been on cruisers for 25years and I can't believe  what I've been missing :084:
Although I will admit that the launch model with the touring screen on performs better at speed than the factory standard :138: But I don't think Its £200 better :745: :745:
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.