Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Front end shenanigans  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Glenk69

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Front end shenanigans
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »
I was out riding the other day and encountered a rather disconcerting experience.  I was riding into very strong head winds and the front end felt like it was skating all over the road.  It got that bad that after about 10kms I pulled over to check that the front wheel wasn't loose.  All was good so I proceeded on the journey.  As the head winds got stronger the feeling got a lot worse to the point where I turned around to get a tail wind and everything was back to normal.  I remember reading an article somewhere from a moto journalist about the front end being far too "flighty" but didn't take much notice.  Admittedly the winds really were strong and swirly and it wasn't decent riding weather but I have never experienced anything like the sensation I got that day.

It reached the point where I had no confidence in the front end so I turned around and came home.  This is not a deal breaker for me by any measure and this is still the best bike I have ever ridden but it was something to consider. I didn't have anything in the panniers or top case so it wasn't as though the rear was weighed down at all.  What concerns me is that if I was on tour and had the cases all packed with gear the front would feel even lighter and I get the feeling it may actually lift off of the road if I encountered winds that strong again.  I don't know maybe I just need to harden up a bit as I remember being in several cars on the same stretch of road in similar winds and even they were skating around a bit.

Anyone else had this experience?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:23:48 PM by Glenk69 »

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Front end shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:50:11 AM »
I was in a real strong buffeting wind yesterday coming back from work but whilst it tried to shake the bike around, I didn't experience anything like you have suggested.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »
When I did the extended road test it was very windy and also a lot of rain. In truth I agree that in certain server conditions it was a little flighty,but coming off Harley's that handled like space hoppers in the same sort of conditions  :745: I felt no need to worry.
The rest of the experience will more than make up for little niggles. In 40 years of riding I still think its the best touring bike I've ridden :047: Certainly the best I've owned by a long stretch.
When the better weather is here all will be forgotten  :046:
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline kgerry

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
i experienced the exact same thing on my Bonneville last summer... got out onto the highway and pulled over about 5km later thinking something was loose on the bike.... took off again and after another 5k i turned around and drove back into town and got my suv.... i presumed i just had to learn how to ride in that kind of wind... but to be honest, i just didn't feel safe.... the bike was wobbling so badly in that wind.... i assumed it's because of how light the bonnie is and the fact i'm not a big, heavy guy....even when driving in moderate wind i get pushed from one lane to the other on the bonnie....one of the reasons i am moving up to the Trophy.... i hope that with the Trophy being a substantially heavier bike it will stay planted better...  (or maybe i just need to practice counter-steering more)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:34:33 PM by kgerry »

tweedy-bunch