Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Weight with side bags?  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Jwayne

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Conyers
Weight with side bags?
« on: March 15, 2014, 12:53:57 am »
Hi guys,

The weight wet weight of the bike is listed at 662lbs, I believe that is without the side cases. What is the weight of the bike with side cases on?

Thanks!

Offline Broom

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
Re: Weight with side bags?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 01:00:02 am »
Not sure, but I have carried my bags before. I bet they are about 10 pounds each empty.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 04:11:40 am »
I think the recommended weight to carry is 10kg each pannier and the top bob so in theory all up baggage weight should be 30kg plus the 300kg bike weight. 

They are quiet heavy empty maybe 5 - 10kg therefore I think at a guess 300kg +30kg pannier weight and then 30kg baggage

All up approx. 360kg

seadog
seadog

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 08:50:58 am »
A few figures for you :

My ( UK ) Owners Handbook states that the Wet Weight of the bike is 301 Kg ( 633 lb ),
but it DOESN'T say what that includes  - It would be really useful to know this,
because although my Trophy is an "SE" model and the figures quoted are from the SE Handbook,
my bike was a "Launch model" and inlcuded a few extras such as the Top Box, Sliding carriage,
taller screen, Heated grips and seats, TPMS, which may not be included in the quoted wet weight figure ???

I "think" it includes the weight of the empty panniers, as they are standard equipment,
but not the Top Box, or the sliding carriage that the Top Box is mounted onto, and the other "extras".

There is a further note in the Specifications : "Maximum Payload = 239 Kg ( 526 lb )",
maiing a total Gross maximum weight of 540 Kg, and a note elsewhere to
"Never exceed the Maximum Vehicle Loading Weight of 239 kg (526 lb).
This maximum loading weight is made up from the combined weight of the rider,
passenger, any accessories fitted and any load carried."

At first that seems to be a reasonable allowance - however .....

Load wise you can carry 10 Kg in each pannier, 10 Kg in the Top Box, 3 Kg in the Tank Bag ( if you have one ),
1.5 Kg in the Glove box and 500 grammes in the under seat storage box ( SE Model ),
making 35Kg total in those storage areas.  That leaves 204 Kg for the rider, pillion and everything else.

If you add in a rider and pillion weighing 90 kg each - which isn't excessive these days when you
include leathers, boots, and helmets, you're left with 24Kg for the various accessories you've bought,
which will include the Top Box & Sliding carriage, Tank Bag, "Crash Bars", those heated seats & grips,
Alarm, Lock, Sat Nav & Bracket, and any other little goodies that you've bought - they all add up !

Some owners have added racks to the lid of their top boxes for additional load capacity,
and if riding two up, with all the stowage capacity maxed out, must be getting close to the limit   :033:

Offline wingjack

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: tucson
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 10:00:49 am »
I weighed the bags on my digital bow scale, just under 17 lbs each.  I believe one of the Motorcycle Publications weighed the bike at 667 lbs with a full tank.  Just for a smile from you all, my 2007 1800 Goldwing, a wopping 918 lbs full of gas!  Got tired of riding a tank, that's why I'm on the TT with a smile!
Wingjack

Offline Jwayne

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:57:17 pm »
Thanks for all the feed back guys. If I am just riding in town I normally ride without the side cases and top case. I don't find the TT attractive with just the top case on. I will probably get the tank bag this spring.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 02:02:21 pm »
If you have a salvage or recycling place around your area take the bike over and put it on their scales. I have done that with my bikes before and I will do the Trophy one day soon also. One bike cost me 50 cents and the other was a freebie. I don't put much faith in manufacturers or magazine articles when it comes to certain stats. When I get mine done I will post the numbers.

Offline Jwayne

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 03:53:12 pm »
Sounds like a good idea ND. I will have to go find a salvage yard but, that's a good a reason as any for a nice long ride.