Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: First run of the year..  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Iain

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stornoway
First run of the year..
« on: March 15, 2014, 10:11:56 pm »
I'm just home from my first decent run of the year around Scotland. Approx 600 miles. Took the ferry from my home in Stornoway to Ullapool then a night in Inverness. First full day was a run down Loch Ness side then the A87 to Kyle of Lochalsh and across the Skye bridge. On Skye briefly then the ferry from Armadale to Mallaig and the A830-The road to the Isles- to Fort William. Lunch in Fort William then the A82 across Rannoch moor to Crainlairch. All great stuff then a less interesting run across to Perth and on the dual carriageway up to Aberdeen for a couple of days to do a course with my employer. Last day was a tedious run from Aberdeen to Inverness on the A96. Scotland has some great biking roads but the A96 is not one of them! However I was in plenty time for the ferry home to Stornoway so I made a detour off the Ullapool road and took the A832 to Gairloch. Now, if there's a better stretch of A road in the Uk to ride a motorcycle on…Well there just can't be! Truly fantastic road! A must do if your planning on being in the area.
The weather was good for the whole trip.Dry and still. Cold in the mornings mind you. Temp gauge gave 0 degrees at one stage.
So a great trip. The Trophy performed fantastically and the good thing is I have to do it all again in 2 weeks when I go to the dealer in Aberdeen to do this recall thing!
Honda VFR 2002
Sprint ST 2007
Sprint ST 2009
Sprint GT 2011
Trophy SE 2013

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: First run of the year..
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:51:08 am »
Hey..... sounds great.... I learned to ride in Scotland.... took my test in the snow in Elgin! LOL

Some great roads indeed when the weather is good.... no better place!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:53:16 am »
Iain

Sounds like a good run. Glad you had the good weather. I am thinking of getting up to Applecross and hopefully stay at the Applecross inn at least 1 night. Not sure which route from Yorkshire yet. May go up the east side to Aberdeen stay ther for a night then up to Banff across to Inverness stay there. Then make my way up and across to Applecross coming down the west side in to Dumfries to avoid the motorways then back over the A66 to scotch corner and home. 

Do you deal at Shirlows?

seadog
seadog

Offline Iain

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Stornoway
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:15:51 am »
Yeah Shirlaws are my dealer. I've spent a small fortune there over the years!

Unless you have reason to go to Aberdeen I'd avoid the East coast of Scotland. The West coast is where the scenery and good biking roads are.
Honda VFR 2002
Sprint ST 2007
Sprint ST 2009
Sprint GT 2011
Trophy SE 2013

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 10:01:07 am »
*Originally Posted by Iain [+]
I'm just home from my first decent run of the year around Scotland. Approx 600 miles. Took the ferry from my home in Stornoway to Ullapool then a night in Inverness. First full day was a run down Loch Ness side then the A87 to Kyle of Lochalsh and across the Skye bridge. On Skye briefly then the ferry from Armadale to Mallaig and the A830-The road to the Isles- to Fort William. Lunch in Fort William then the A82 across Rannoch moor to Crainlairch. All great stuff then a less interesting run across to Perth and on the dual carriageway up to Aberdeen for a couple of days to do a course with my employer. Last day was a tedious run from Aberdeen to Inverness on the A96. Scotland has some great biking roads but the A96 is not one of them! However I was in plenty time for the ferry home to Stornoway so I made a detour off the Ullapool road and took the A832 to Gairloch. Now, if there's a better stretch of A road in the Uk to ride a motorcycle on…Well there just can't be! Truly fantastic road! A must do if your planning on being in the area.
The weather was good for the whole trip.Dry and still. Cold in the mornings mind you. Temp gauge gave 0 degrees at one stage.
So a great trip. The Trophy performed fantastically and the good thing is I have to do it all again in 2 weeks when I go to the dealer in Aberdeen to do this recall thing!

G'day Iain,

Mate great narrative and a positive summary about the TTSE. Very beautiful scenery to-boot!

Goodonya  :152:
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline TrophyTim

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: West Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 11:22:11 am »
Fabulous roads, well described. I have done many of them over the years, and will be renewing my acquaintance at the end of May. Can't wait!

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 01:31:35 pm »
All great stuff then a less interesting run across to Perth indeed. Sound like my run up the freeway 70km to Perth on a work day. Different Perth, though.

Great write up Iain, made many of us envious.
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 05:59:49 pm »
Iain

I agree West coast is nicer. I work out of Aberdeen and have  some mates up there. But I looked on the maps last night and I may split the route. Coming up from Wetherby. Defo want to do Applecross and visit work colleagues in Inverness.

This will be done later in the year. I fancied on the east coats from Inverness round to Dumbreath, Thurso Scrabster The route back. The routes are endless once you get up into that region.

Just found out my crew change is on Tuesday so looking forward to getting home and getting the bike back from the Dealers. :046: :152:

seadog
seadog