Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Oops  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Oops
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:49:52 pm »
I got the bike back from the ECM and stand recall and cylinder head replacement.  The dealer put 70 miles on the bike after the work was done and I put 50 on it myself just to make sure everything was alright.  The bike was MUCH quieter and everything seemed good.

Then I left on a planned three day 1200 mile trip.  I hit the road and about 50 miles later I hit the brakes and they didn't quite feel right. It was subtle and I couldn't even describe what felt different so I stopped and looked everything over and nothing seemed amiss.

I shrugged my shoulders and hit the road again. 70 miles later I hit the brakes again and this time the rear brake pedal goes way down and there is a loose feeling in the brakes.  I pull over, hop off and take a look at the rear brake.  The caliper is hanging by the hydraulic brake line.  One bolt is missing entirely and the other isn't attached to anything.  The caliper has been loose for awhile because the rim is scored from where the caliper was rubbing on it. 

Luckily I was in one of the few towns in the area that actually had a hardware or auto parts store and I was only a couple blocks away. Using the remaining bolt I found one that would work and reattached the caliper using thread locker to make sure it wouldn't fall out again and it held for the rest of the trip.

I called the dealer to report what happened and they were very forthcoming with information.  Although the head replacement TSB doesn't call for the drive shaft to be removed from the bike, they remove it to make the engine removal and replacement a little easier.  The tech must not have tightened the bolts adequately.  The dealer has ordered a new caliper and wheel and said they'd provide some other compensation too. 

At first I was relieved that nothing catastrophic had happened like the caliper getting caught between the spokes of the wheel, but as I think about the position of the caliper I think there wasn't enough slack in the brake line to allow that to happen.

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
Re: Oops
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:53:15 pm »
WOW, THAT'S SLOPPY WORK MY FRIEND! WELL DONE FOR SPOTTING THE PROBLEM. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRAVELS :047:

Offline rocksteady

• Trophy Member
  • Searching for satellites
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Reading, Berkshire
Re: Oops
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 07:54:21 pm »
Hi earnest T, that's really bad and pretty damn dangerous :005: I suppose they are only human and everyone makes mistakes but with something as important as this they should've double checked their work.
I hope you don't have any similar dramas and everything goes well for you from now on :028:
Cheer up they said, things could be worse. So I cheered up and sure enough things DID get worse!