Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: trailering your bike  (Read 3367 times)

Offline cokeinator

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Union, ky
trailering your bike
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:47:41 pm »
Has anyone trailered your bike?  My question is points for tie down straps and do you use the center stand or or let the suspension help absorb the road bumps? I am trying to decide, do I buy and trailer for 1800mi or buy back home and wait for a month to ride?

Thanks, cokeinator

Offline Fast Ed15

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Northport,NY
Re: trailering your bike
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:33:43 pm »
Had bike trailed to shop for recall work, they had a Kendon trailer bike stayed on wheels with 4 tie downs

Offline Ray_B

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 SE (ex '13 SE)
  • City / Town: Central New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 04:33:17 pm »
NEVER use the center stand or side stand while trailering! Use a wheel chock and tie-downs to compress the forks about 1/3 to 1/2 travel. One solution for tie-down is to use a Canyon Dancer handlebar web that criss-cross the bar ends and pull tight as you compress. Only scary part is if you tighten too much the handlebars flex some. Maybe soft ties to the triple clamps will work but it looks a bit tight up there.
Ray

Offline Theo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Prince George
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 06:29:11 pm »
*Originally Posted by Ray_B [+]
NEVER use the center stand or side stand while trailering! Use a wheel chock and tie-downs to compress the forks about 1/3 to 1/2 travel. One solution for tie-down is to use a Canyon Dancer handlebar web that criss-cross the bar ends and pull tight as you compress. Only scary part is if you tighten too much the handlebars flex some. Maybe soft ties to the triple clamps will work but it looks a bit tight up there.

After purchase, I trailered my TTSE home ( a distance of about 800 km/500 miles) exactly as Ray suggests above except for the extent of fork compression.  I would be concerned about the load on the handlebars and the risk of damaging the bar-end weight mounting screws with too much force from the tie downs.  I guess it's something of a judgement call on how much force to apply.

The Canyon Dancer harness and front wheel chock arrangement works well in conjunction with ties to the pillion grab handles at the rear - so, four tie straps are used.  Worked very well for me.

Theo
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

Offline cokeinator

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Union, ky
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 06:54:12 pm »
Thanks for the information, thats what I like about this forum!! Now all I need to do is decide where to buy and get it :152:

Offline crfroland

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrisville
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:04 pm »
I brought mine home on a trailer, used straps around the triple clamp then the canyon dancer for balance and straps on the grab rails in the rear. It was solid as a rock and mad the trip beautifully.
Ride!!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 12:14:40 am »
*Originally Posted by cokeinator [+]
Thanks for the information, thats what I like about this forum!! Now all I need to do is decide where to buy and get it :152:
Just curious why you would buy and trailer 1800 miles rather than buying locally?  I bought from my brother ( a Triumph dealer, who sold it to me at cost) and, after breaking in, rode 2000 miles back to Houston.  But absent a deal like that why trailer?  Just curious, no flaming I intended.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 01:14:50 am »
I am in New JErsey. Purchased my Trophy from Baxter Cycle in Iowa. GREAT dealer. You should give Jeremy a call. really made a difference.