Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Triumph Trophy SE and the 50CC Quest  (Read 2270 times)

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
Triumph Trophy SE and the 50CC Quest
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:53:16 pm »
Here's a ride report focusing on the Trophy and how it performed on my cross country trip.

The Trip

I left out of San Diego early Tuesday morning headed to Jacksonville, Fl to attend the annual Iron Butt Association's Pizza Party. [It's just us crazy folks that will drive across the US for a dinner.] Since I was making the trip, I wondered if I still had the stamina for a certification ride and opted to do a 50CC Quest. That's coast to coast in 50 hours or less. My trip was right at 2355 miles and I used the full 50 hours to get there. I rode about 1250 the first day, got a good 7 hours of rest, and then tacked the second half. Because I didn't want to arrive in the wee hours and not have a place to stay I opted to get another good 6 hour rest the second night. I nabbed the finish receipt with time to spare.

The return trip was broken up with a stop in Austin, Tx to visit with my daughter. This was only 1050 miles from Jacksonville, so was a pretty easy ride after having rested for 2 days.

I considered making the 1300 mile trip home in one leg but ran out of steam. Some of it may have been dealing with the high winds but I will attribute it to me being out of shape. I managed 800 miles the first day and had to stop, the final 500 miles really did me in. I will have to work on building my stamina, the 2015 Iron Butt Rally is on the horizon.

The Triumph Trophy SE

Enough about me, let's talk about the Triumph Trophy.

It's been brought to my attention that I've been a bit negative about the Trophy. Last week I threatened to trade it in if it gave me any problems on this trip. Let me say right off, this is a KEEPER!

I want to emphasize that my complaints have not been with the bike but with the warranty process and parts availability. The bike itself is a stellar performer. I can't help but feel this will be a serious long distance platform. I know that there are at least three of these bikes entered in the '15 Iron Butt Rally, mine being one of them.

Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Re: Triumph Trophy SE and the 50CC Quest
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:20:57 am »
congratulations, well done  :047:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline robert

• Trophy Member
  • vroom vroom
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hitchin
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:20:39 am »
Cool blogs Pete too, enjoyed reading them!  :028:

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 11:39:18 am »
My hats off to you IB guys, stamina and determination. Ive heard the FJR holds the crown for those rides, is Trophy a contender?
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 02:23:38 pm »
*Originally Posted by Briang1234 [+]
My hats off to you IB guys, stamina and determination. Ive heard the FJR holds the crown for those rides, is Trophy a contender?

Thanks for the responses and the recognition.

I tossed my hat in the ring for the IBR to try and reprise my '09 DNF. Plus, I figure it will be my last chance, at 66 I don't know how many years I'll be able to keep up this insanity.

Based on my experiences so far with the TT I think it can be a strong contender for the IBR. Don't look to me for a podium finish but there are two more entered.

At this time, my only concern is parts availability should a breakdown occur.

I've got a big riding season planned to prep for the IBR. A couple more cross country runs, the ButtLite rally (5days), and some shorter rallies. Plus whatever I ride early in '15 prior to the IBR in August. I expect to add another 25 to 35 thousand to the existing 15 thousand before the IBR.

I guess you can look to us IronButt guys to determine reliability.  :156:

thanks again,
Mike
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.