Hi from Baltics by Maxime
[Today at 10:39:22 am]

Left Side Control Plate Removal - Damaged T40 Bolt head ! by STJIM
[Yesterday at 06:32:09 pm]

New Triumph Trophy OEM Tank Bag by azccj
[Yesterday at 04:38:45 pm]

TPMS Components by brenchley
[Yesterday at 11:57:12 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: I'm sure I'm not alone, or perhaps I am...  (Read 3856 times)

Offline robert

• Trophy Member
  • vroom vroom
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hitchin
I'm sure I'm not alone, or perhaps I am...
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:40:19 am »
So, it's day 2 of having the bike back after a month without it (a month!) I work from home (usually) but find myself taking unnecessary trips that I'd ordinarily not bother with otherwise. Trips to see friends across town, jaunts to the supermarket for not really needed supplies, coffee shop jaunts...

Do you do this kind of thing too!?

I'm currently thinking of heading in to town for a coffee even though the wind's really picking up and it's likely to rain soon. It's just too much fun - and now I have a top box I no longer need to lug the helmet and gloves around when I do  (or if it's a hot day the jacket either) as they all neatly fit in to the various carriage compartments.

I've not yet done any long trips (but plan to) and have read various threads around people getting new seats - I did wonder if folks generally thought the bog standard seat was in any way uncomfortable after a few miles and whether something custom was worth doing?

Anyhow, I'm clearly having a very lazy morning so, time to caffeinate...  :001:

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
Re: I'm sure I'm not alone, or perhaps I am...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 06:03:18 pm »
The seat variation is all about the fit. At 6'4" I have the seat at it's highest and have had it re worked with addition of another 1.5" higher and wider just to make it more rideable from my point of view. But having said that last year before the seat was re worked we rode to Spain and a leased two days were 430 mile + days, most being 300ish and other than legs aching due to being in the wrong position the ride is superb for the  pillion also.
If the seat needs to be altered in my opinion it works out cheaper to have the standard seat re worked than buying a whole new seat  :087: £120 in my case at leased a third of the cost of after market seats.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Binnsyboy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Selby
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 07:05:36 pm »
    I have the heated seats. They are the comfiest of any bike i have had. But they did need a thosand miles or so to bed in.
     Enjoy the ride :152:

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:50:59 pm »
I have no issues with the standard seat. Though I probably haven't done more than a 300 mile day.

I also make totally unnecessary trips for any reason. My wife is quit happy that I'll drop whatever I'm doing at a moments notice to run to the supermarket to get a single item. When the weather is bad, I tell her to go when she has a full shopping list.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE L
  • City / Town: Wigan
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:12:22 pm »
definitely not just you....

I needed a starter for a fluorescent light last Wednesday. Homebase in Wigan where I live is 2 minutes away from where I live on foot.
BUT I've got the bike out so went up past Garstang, through the trough of Bowland to Homebase in Clitheroe!! Totally unplanned just pointed the bike and kept going!!
Thank god I've got a nav!
Oh, no problems with the heated seats for me most comfortable bike I've ever had by miles.

Dave.

Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline robert

• Trophy Member
  • vroom vroom
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hitchin
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:02:24 am »
Ha! Well, nice to know I'm not the only one ;)

*Originally Posted by davybull [+]
definitely not just you....

I needed a starter for a fluorescent light last Wednesday. Homebase in Wigan where I live is 2 minutes away from where I live on foot.
BUT I've got the bike out so went up past Garstang, through the trough of Bowland to Homebase in Clitheroe!! Totally unplanned just pointed the bike and kept going!!
Thank god I've got a nav!

:D Quite a diversion! Can't say I blame you either!

When on the bike I'm always taking the scenic routes - came up from GF's house in London this morning and got off the A1M at the first opp, even though it's probably about 15 mins longer. Gorgeous morning for it too.

Ah Spring...

Offline swashplate

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 02:58:25 pm »
Living in North Dakota, I have only had the chance to ride the Trophy once - that was the day I picked it up just a few weeks ago.  It was 35 degrees that day and the heated seat and grips were really nice.  I could have ridden all day, it was comfy enough, but there were still slick spots on the road, and I had to get back to work.

I don't have the longest legs and, even with the seat set at the lowest, I am on tiptoes at a stop.  I bring this up because I had to drive it up my driveway that was covered with glassy ice so thick, I expect to see a wooly mammoth any day now. 

I basically just idled it forward and slid my feet forward a little bit at a time.  Even so, there were a couple moments where I thought the bike was going down as the front tire slid sideways.  700+ pounds is pretty damned heavy, but I managed to keep it from going over.

It now sits in my garage, waiting for the glaciers in my driveway to melt.  We had snow again yesterday and the high is expected to be 20 F (-6 C) today.  The next good riding days might be next weekend, but I'll be working.

I want to ride so bad.  If anyone needs me, I'll be out in the garage...

...Sitting on my bikes making VROOM VROOOM noises.   :190:

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 03:55:08 pm »
*Originally Posted by swashplate [+]
I want to ride so bad.  If anyone needs me, I'll be out in the garage... ...Sitting on my bikes making VROOM VROOOM noises.   :190:

if you turn the engine on, please remember to keep the garage well ventilated  :190:
An old biker must be a good rider