Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: End of a Saga !  (Read 21785 times)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
End of a Saga !
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »
Well, that's an end to another Saga of my life - Which was almost an end to the Saga OF my life !   :005:

Sunday 9th March 2014, 13:15 Hrs - B4391 from lake Bala to Lake Vyrnwy ( Wales ) I was on my
( previously ) lovely Triumph Trophy,  enjoying a ride with 10 other Triumph Trophy owners,
on the "Horseshoe Pass Ride-out", when I mis-judged a right hand bend
( stupid basic mistake  :157: ), ran wide, hit the gravel, then the verge, then the hedge,
then the sheep net fencing, and finally the fence posts  :087:

Amazingly I got up and walked away from it ( with only a slight limp ).

The bike didn't fair as well though, and will cost more to repair than buying a brand new one, so it's a "Write-Off" !
( I dare say it WILL be back on the road at some point in the future after the Salvage company
have sold it on and it has been "repaired" - so if you are ever tempted to buy BF62 YNT, let me know
and I'll send you a long list of the parts that should have been replaced !

The bike took pretty well all of the impact, and I had "R & G "Adventure" ( Crash ) Bars" fitted
( Hoorah for "R & G Racing" ), which definitely saved my right leg - there wasn't a scratch on it,
and only a bump to the left knee as the bike flipped over near the end !

Those few seconds before impact were the scariest of my life,
and I knew instantly what my brother Graham ( R.I.P. ), must have felt and thought
in the moments before his tragic and fatal motorcycle accident back in 2002.

To say I was a little shaken is very much an understatement !

It's probably a good thing that the bike wasn't repairable,
as I don't think I would have felt comfortable riding it again,
and would have been over-cautious, which can in itself be hazardous.

So I have taken quite a difficult decision, I am hanging up my helmet ( again ) and calling it a day  :159:

I have enjoyed building the social side of motorcycling since my retirement,
meeting up with fellow Triumph Trophy riders ( you really are a great bunch of guys & gals ! )
both on the road, which I will certainly miss,  and in this Triumph Trophy Owners Forum,
but I would miss "life" itself even more !

I want to ensure, as far as I can, that I see my gorgeous grand-daughters grow up
and see my days out with "Lovely Lynn" ( Mrs. Coconut ),
( Update :  something else I now have to live with, or rather without -
she upped and left shortly before Christmas 2014  :161: ) and , so that's that !

It's time for me to look back and be thankful for the last 10 months of enjoying the Trophy,
but to take the Insurance money now, quit while I'm still ahead, and enjoy life in other ways !

I will still be hanging around in these Forums, ( you can't get rid of me that easily )
and as always will continue to try and do anything to help,
but I might not be quite so actively engaged as time goes on.

I can always be contacted via the Private Message facility if needed  :169:

Later today I will be posting a list of items I now have for sale,
so keep en eye on the Items for Sale Section  :169:

Meanwhile, anyone travelling through South Birmingham is welcome to drop by for a cuppa,
( "by prior appointment" ! ) just drop me a note to arrange  :158:

Cheers  :821:

Alan

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:38:58 pm by Coconut »

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Re: End of a Saga !
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 02:38:41 pm »
Sorry to see your accident report, but glad that you were relatively unscathed.  Sometimes you just know when its time to quit.  Good luck.

Offline madshep

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Boston, Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 03:18:16 pm »
So sad to hear that, but looking at the photo how lucky you are still with us and able to add it to your 'war stories'.

I know what you mean about how you felt and thought - all in a split second - horrible isn't it and you keep re-playing it over and over in your mind's eye too don't you.

At the end of the day, a TTSE is just metal and plastic, and can be replaced, but flesh and bone is far harder to put right.

Whatever you decide to do from now on .......................................... ENJOY :821:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:33:33 pm by madshep »

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:54:05 pm »
Good luck yo you my friend, that looks like a close call!!

Offline Old Hand

• Trophy Member
  • Old Hand
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Concours 14
  • City / Town: Markham
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:31:07 pm »
Hi Coconut,
So sorry to hear about your accident  :114:. While I'm glad that you are mostly unhurt   :020:, and I certainly understand the reasons for your decision, it's a bit sad that you will not be riding for in the foreseable future.

I'd like to thank you for all your valuable contributions to the forum, from which we have benefitted, and look forward to hearing from you in future.  :002:

Riding since 1973 ....

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 04:49:39 pm »
Youll be missed on the forum Coconut. And I believe I still owe you a beer. If I ever make it over that way......
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 05:08:11 pm »
I'm sure you will find other ways to fill your life and it looks like you've made a good start.

Personally I'd have been tempted to buy the salvage rights and put the engine in a car  :008:

Thanks for all your efforts, contributions and occasionally keeping the peace, take care  :159:

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 05:11:02 pm »
Well my friend at least I got to meet you and ride with you before you decided to hang up you're spurs :028: As always I wish you all the luck in the world don't be a stranger you're knowledge and input is invaluable and one of the main reasons I still hang around myself. Time tends to heel and you may find yourself on two wheels again  (don't have to be a Trophy) give me a shout and I'll meet and ride with you again anytime anywhere.
All the best to you and the family and the best of luck in whatever you do in life  :821:

Until we meet again keep it real and remember a post or PM  :028: :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

tweedy-bunch