Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: DAB Radio  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Sanctuary

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Underwater / S West
DAB Radio
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:11:55 am »

Has anyone converted the radio to DAB? I know you can get after market DAB kits for cars, I was just wondering if it would run on the same lines and work on the Trophy  :087:

Offline Thunestvedt

• Trophy Member
  • Ride proud
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fitjar
Re: DAB Radio
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:37:27 pm »
Have installed an aftermarket DAB in my car. The problem with using it on a bike is where to place the antenna. In a car you must place it on the windscreen, it needs strong signals, but placing the antenna on the inside of the bike's windscreen, will expose it to water. Well, actually ,I guess you could seal it with some kind of waterproof tape. Should work. I think my DAB radio is named Tiny or something. Just google it.
Davy Crockett MC
Triumph Trophy SE
ST 1300 (gone)
Suzuki Intruder (gone)
Kawazaki Vulcan (gone)

Offline Sanctuary

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:41:20 pm »
*Originally Posted by Thunestvedt [+]
Have installed an aftermarket DAB in my car. The problem with using it on a bike is where to place the antenna. In a car you must place it on the windscreen, it needs strong signals, but placing the antenna on the inside of the bike's windscreen, will expose it to water. Well, actually ,I guess you could seal it with some kind of waterproof tape. Should work. I think my DAB radio is named Tiny or something. Just google it.

Thanks for the info.... I will check it out  :152:

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:13:47 am »
I would be tempted to find a suitable whip type, I researched a while back and some did combine DAB and MW/FM in the same whip, not sure how effective they are, might be possible to replace the original Triumph one.

I had a stick on screen antenna that would probably be W/T (Blaupunkt Woodstock) on a car until recently. Quite honestly the performance wasn't very impressive, although to be fair it may have had as much to do with the network coverage in Scotland as anything else.

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 11:42:14 am »
Now you got me thinking,  :006: , so I did a quick scout around.

Looks like things have moved on a lot since my previous experience.

I found this Kinetic Digitizor which might just work with the TT media system. A bit pricey to be experimenting with though.

There appears to be a lot of info on that website, I stopped looking because I know after a while I am gong to hit the "Buy it Now" button  :138:

Offline Sanctuary

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:57:23 am »

Thanks for the info Sin...... :062:

Offline oz1759

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Tidworth
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:29:53 pm »
I asked about the digital switch over and how it would affect the radio on the bike and the service manager rang Hinkley and they told him that the radio already has a digital receiver which will kick in when terrestrial radio ends and we won't need anything extra putting on the bike

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:41:50 pm »
That sounds a little hard to believe....

Why go to the expense of fitting the bike with a DAB radio and not activate it immediately and sell it as a feature? :087:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch