Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Crash bars  (Read 2693 times)

Offline frojo47

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy 1200 se
  • City / Town: Catterall
Crash bars
« on: March 27, 2014, 06:09:40 pm »
 Since my little accident the other day of "dropping the bike" and all your replies, two things have come to mind. Firstly the r & g adventure crash bars and secondly as I have both feet on the floor but not my heels I tried tilting the bike over. What I found with my experiment was that you are so focussed on the bike that you tend to hold the whole thing up with the ball of one foot , hence failure and tears but if you quickly shift your hips slightly you get the whole foot down and a straight leg which enables you to easily hold the bike happiness and confidence. Now going back to my ah hem accident, I broke my indicator lens and scratched the pannier ( not the end of the world ) what advantage have these bars?  thanks guys, frojo
when the world goes bad remember being in that special place "the bubble of joy" behind the screen listening to howlin wolf

Offline Zaphod

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Black
  • City / Town: Poulton le Fylde
Re: Crash bars
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:50:29 am »
Hi frojo

When a Trophy drops at low speed/standstill 4 panels always get clobbered - the fairing lower, the grey cooling vent cover, the mirror plastics and the pannier lid (as I know to my cost). The bars will stop the 1st two being damaged in a stationary drop and potentially save a much bigger bill if you're travelling at any speed.  FYI I got a touchup kit from Youles - think it was about £18.95 inc postage. It only arrived today & I'm still knee deep in boxes, so not had the chance to try it yet, but it's a cheaper option than new panels depending on the extent of the damage.......
If you can keep your head when all about you are loosing theirs, it's a sure sign you've misread the situation.

Offline frojo47

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy 1200 se
  • City / Town: Catterall
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:23:39 am »
Hello Zaphod, thanks for that, im going to youles today to sort out a one year sevice and a ecu recall so i might get some myself. Hope the moves going well, get unpacked before the good weather and give me a call for that brew when your ready. frojo
when the world goes bad remember being in that special place "the bubble of joy" behind the screen listening to howlin wolf

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:34:44 am »
https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,2103.0.html

Coconut will happily endorse the effectiveness of the R&G crash bars - maybe not in terms of saving panel damage, but more crucially saving his legs.

I've had them fitted from the start, and pray that I'll never need 'em

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:48:22 am »
R & G Crash Bars are definitely endorsed by me  :169:

They can lessen the amount of damage caused to the bike panels
when dropped, ( they will bend as they absorb impact ),
but stood up well to a fairly long slide on the right hand side
with me still on board, and not a scratch to my right leg  :028:

Hopefully they will never be used like that - they look good when fitted,
and some Members have hung extra horns, lights, and even Highway Pegs
on them, although I could never see how those could have been positioned
so that they would be comfortable.

One drawback is that they do have to be taken off if you want to remove the Fairing,
but in my case they were well worth the money -
my Trophy was trashed, but I wasn't !

There's a useful article here :
"HOW TO : Remove the Fairing and fit R & G Crash Bars

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:55:11 am by Coconut »

Offline Dorro

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Doomsday Village
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 07:12:04 pm »
Definitely agree with Coconut...R&G bars fitted to my Trophy and not only do they do a job, but I think they look pretty good too  :062:
Straights are for FAST BIKES.........Bends are for FAST RIDERS

tweedy-bunch