Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: No Power When Ignition and Kill Switch Are On  (Read 10666 times)

Offline Trophyman12

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Liverpool
No Power When Ignition and Kill Switch Are On
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:09:44 pm »
Its happened a few times now and I think I know whats causing it. When I park up and put the steering lock on the steering is turned to the left. With the steering turned to the left and the ignotion and kill switch on I do not get any display or warning lights on. As soon as the steering is centralised all is ok and I can start the bike with no problem. Therefore Im thinking it is a wiring/electrical issue with the right hand handle bar instruments. It seems to be one issue after another just lately and its making me pretty angry.  :233: Has anyone else had this problem. Its going back to Hinckley for the engine mod at the end of April. Maybe when it comes back Ill have no more problems. I can only hope. I ride every day and need a motorcycle that is reliable. Each time I ride it Im thinking, right, whats next?
Previous Bikes YAMAHA FJR1300 SUZUKI TL1000R            APRILLIA RSV1000 MILLIE YAMAHA YZF R1 SUZUKI GSXR1000
SUZUKI SV650S and countless others.

Offline Cide1

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fishers
Re: No Power When Ignition and Kill Switch Are On
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:26:40 am »
My bike is in the shop now (see this thread: https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,2147.0.html.  The connector to the right hand controls has already been fixed once after leaving me stranded.  The tech now believes that this is the issue again, and that the harness is not long enough.  When turning the steering to the steering lock, the lack of play is pulling pins out of the connector.  My guess is that you have found the same problem.

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 01:05:05 am »
I just went out to the garage to see how mine is affected. I just stroked the bars stop to stop while holding onto the both cables entering the bottom of the Righthand switch cluster. The cables pull tight when the bike is turned toward the RIGHT, not the left. The cable slacks when turned to the left, tightens when turned to the right. My cables route along the handlebar then cross in front of the ignition witch and triple tree and back under the left side of the frame under the tank. I pulled as much slack as I could into both cables toward the switch cluster, and when the bars are turned to the right both cables pull tight, more so the rear cable. I haven't had any troubles with mine, but I can see this turning into an issue. And this really throws my hopes of bar risers into serious doubt. There is no way I have enough slack there. Hmmm
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:42:27 am »
The blue and gray wires go to the starter switch on the cluster. They are the pair that have NO slack at all directly to the cable gland. I can certainly see one of these causing a starter issue, but not so sure about a full on power/display loss issue. Where the two wires exit to the right is the cable entrance gland on the switch cluster. All the other wires have a slack loop to them.

As an interesting side note, when you loosen the switch cluster it also accesses the throttle wiper. I was actually able to get a small amount of off idle throttle play removed by rolling the switch cluster slightly forward. Theres only about a 1/16th of play there but noticeable.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:45:09 am by Briang1234 »
Brian
Riding the Northwet

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 07:34:43 am »
Thanks for posting this information everyone !

Details added with appropriate acknowledgements to the
HOW TO : Check the most common faults & issues - Page 2 topic.  :028:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:00:39 pm by Coconut »

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 12:48:21 pm »
Guess I'll go void my warranty a little more today! That whole cable routing by the ignition switch is kind of a mess. Im tempted to pull the Tupperware again and see if I can clean that up a bit. Good call on the brake line too.
Its raining all weekend....what the hell.
Brian
Riding the Northwet

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 03:14:52 am »
According to my service manager Triumph has redesigned the cable and there will be a TSB or recall to fix it.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 04:11:50 am »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
According to my service manager Triumph has redesigned the cable and there will be a TSB or recall to fix it.
Perhaps the TTSE will be a very reliable bike by year 2016 or so. Even with all these issues, I still think it's a great bike.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch