Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Running in  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Balders

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hinckley
Running in
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:21:00 am »
No doubt some on here will disagree totally, but it's up to you. I started using this method after my mate told me about it, we had the same bikes and his was smoother and pulled much better than mine. I used it on my last 2 Beemers and my Triumph Explorer, and it really does make a difference!

Some of the more 'anal' members on here will go on about manufacturers warranty being null and void, but as I sad, it's up to you, but if you want a better engine..............😎

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
Re: Running in
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:20:10 am »
Motoman. Always guaranteed to get a lively debate going!  :821:
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 01:40:36 pm »
Interesting article  :084:

I don't totally disagree with the engineering / mechanical principle of it, but I do disagree
that anyone sticking to the manufacturers recommendations should be considered to be "anal" !  :156:

After spending £14,399 ( RRP ) before adding any Extras on a new Trophy,
I think it's perfectly understandable for Owners to follow the manufacturers guidance
and recommendations to the letter, for no other reason than simple fear of voiding any warranty,
( as mentioned in the article ) and ending up with a huge repair bill if something did go wrong  :005:

Which makes me wonder ....... If Motoman's recommendations were followed,
and "something" did go wrong, how would anyone ( i.e. Triumph ) KNOW ???   

Does the ECM record the engine rev's / speed ridden at, during the initial run-in period,
and if it does, what is done with that data  - could it be used by Triumph to "Void the Warranty" ???

Offline Balders

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hinckley
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 05:01:24 pm »
The ECU doesn't record any such information. When potential customers take a test ride on a new demo with only a few miles on the clock, do they ride to the letter, NO of course they don't, they take it to the top of the rev range, just like a hire car is driven!
As I stated, not everyone will agree with me, it's all up to you, I just wanted to give people the choice!
So buying an ex demo model can be good, as everyone has already thrashed it, so in principle the engine should have been run in properly 😗 😱

Offline Dorro

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Doomsday Village
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 06:55:09 pm »
Do not totally disagree, I have found that running an engine in at hight than recommended revs has for me produced a smoother and in some cases a quicker engine. Production tolerances these days are so much better than the old days when running in was more critical....well thats my take on it for what it's worth....they are made for riding and not cleaning   :152:
Straights are for FAST BIKES.........Bends are for FAST RIDERS

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 09:34:21 pm »
Some of what he says is correct.

Early changing of oil.  On all my bikes I've changed at 250, 500, 3000 and then every 3000 thereafter.  I continue to do the same with my ST.  On the Trophy I changed at 250, 500, 3000, 5000 and then every 5000 thereafter.  (yes I know some will say that is a waste of oil and time and has been covered in other threads.)

Also correct that you don't use synthetics during breakin but I think everyone knows that.

I don't agree with the run it hard theory.  There is a blend between the manufacturers recommendations and run it hard and that is what I have done on every bike for 40 years with never an engine problem.  Run the bike according to spec but then add in running the throttle up an extra 1000 over the recommend for a short burst, then back down to recommended cruising RPM.  The variation in throttle ensures proper lubing of the top end.

But many may disagree, as one other posted, a controversial topic.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch