Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: bike lowering  (Read 3851 times)

Offline rocketroy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Portland
bike lowering
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:24:54 am »
Does anyone know if the front-end of the SE can be lowered? At 5'6" It would be nice to flat foot stops when loaded or when carrying a passenger.
At this point I'm just getting information. It looks like a Lust kit for the rear and sliding up the tubes in front IF necessary. I just don't know about the TES. Any insights welcome.
'13 Trophy SE
'06 StreetRod
'02 Buell S3t (much missed)
'81 Yamaha XV920R
'80 Yamaha XS650

Offline felix

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14' Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Riverside
Re: bike lowering
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 05:20:10 am »
Im 5'9 and I too will lower the bike with the Lust system, bike is currently at dealer for tires and other mods and they will install the Lust for me in addition they have suggested to have the front lowered 1/2 the size of the rear new drop, this will bring the bike to somewhat back to level, the front will get a little heavier but I welcome that.

Good Luck

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:57:53 am »
6 pages of Chat about Lowering the Trophy here : Lust Racing Lowering Kit for Trophy

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:40:30 pm »
There is indeed a long discussion per Coconut's reference.  It was before my time here so I hadn't seen that, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone at 20mm lower in the rear and 12.5mm up on the fork tubes and still good handling on normal suspension mode, although I'm not a real aggressive rider.  Be sure a read all the comments on the previous thread - good info pro and con.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline rocketroy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 06:02:03 am »
Thanks Everyone, for their comments and insights. Thanks especially for the links to the previous discussion on this topic.
Lots of opinions.
Looks like the Lust links for the rear and lowering the front.

Does anyone know how much the front can be lowered before things start making contact?
'13 Trophy SE
'06 StreetRod
'81 Yamaha XV920R
'80 Yamaha XS650

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 03:15:04 pm »
I went as far as 20mm to match the rear and found that unnecessary for close to original handling, so I settled on 12.5mm.  Be very careful how you move the forks up in the clamps and use a good caliper - my digital goes to 0.0005 in inches and 0.005 in mm.  The upper clamp is not a machined surface on top so be sure to take the measurement at as close as possible to the same point on the circumference of the tube on each side.  You should be able to find a spot on the flat on the fork cap to accomplish that with the depth gauge on the caliper.  I zeroed my caliper at the thickness of the fork cap at the edge of the tube on the flat.  The top of my fork tubes were very close to flush with the top clamp (as in within thousandths of an inch).  I'm not as sensitive to handling subtleties as a trained racer so I haven't noticed any difference in the ride or handling on mine.  Hope this helps.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 08:23:47 pm »
Soupy's Performance has adjustable links if you're looking for something a little more than the Lusts. He also sells the lowered kickstand to match.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline rocketroy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 02:24:05 am »
Thanks for the replies and thanks for the heads-up about the fork clamps! I generally assume they're machined evenly where the forks pass through!
I will be holding off on lowering the rear as I won't be traveling 'till the summer months. Lowering the front I'll do as soon as my service manual gets here. I'll start at 5mm. and see how that affects my high speed weave.
I'll keep you posted.
'13 Trophy SE
'06 StreetRod
'81 Yamaha XV920R
'80 Yamaha XS650