Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 1st proper ride  (Read 2817 times)

Offline TT Ashford

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
  • City / Town: Kent
1st proper ride
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:24:01 pm »
After picking up my trophy on 1st feb with 21 miles on it and running it in through all that rain we've just had, have just come back from my first proper ride out. Booked to do a track day at Almeria in southern spain, common sence would say get a cheap flight down to Alicante and a crappy rental car, so I took the trophy. Round trip of 3049 miles left me really impresed, most of the miles were 2 up and loaded up but still managed 48.5 mpg and dispite plenty of short runs around Roses in n/e spain visting friends the average speed was an impressive 61mph! Comfort was very good, enough for pillion to sleep for 30 minutes or so at a time. Looking forward to nextrun out over easter!

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
Re: 1st proper ride
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:41:49 pm »
That sounds like a really good trip, good you had such a good time, impressive bike, how many miles were you doing in a day ?

Roger

Offline TT Ashford

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 07:26:54 am »
Highest single day milage was around 800miles from Calais to Roses in spain and the same in return which took 12 1/2 hours going via Millau, Clermont-Ferrand, Moulins, Nevers, Auxerre, Troyes, Calais. Really nice route staying off toll roads for quite a while. Think it was around 580-600 from the track in Almeria to Roses.

Offline Dorro

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Doomsday Village
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 03:55:35 pm »
Sounds like you really test the claim that the Trophy is a mile muncher....well I knew that but was not sure of the comfort level and the MPG returns....good posting and glad the trip went well.
Straights are for FAST BIKES.........Bends are for FAST RIDERS

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE L
  • City / Town: Wigan
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 04:17:48 pm »
That is a ride and a half!!
Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 06:33:15 pm »
Wow thats a long day, i'm pretty sure I would have given up before then, well done, glad you enjoyed the trip

Roger

Offline Sneezy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:47:40 pm »
*Originally Posted by TT Ashford [+]
Highest single day milage was around 800miles from Calais to Roses in spain and the same in return which took 12 1/2 hours going via Millau, Clermont-Ferrand, Moulins, Nevers, Auxerre, Troyes, Calais. Really nice route staying off toll roads for quite a while. Think it was around 580-600 from the track in Almeria to Roses.
Quite a ride, its the same sort of route im planning for my 5000 mile in 5 days, you say you managed it in 12 hours, and stayed off toll as much as you could?  :020:
As the late, great Freddie Mercury sang.
"Get on your bike and ride"

Offline TT Ashford

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 09:09:04 pm »
From Roses there is a short toll to the boarder with france, half hour or so then onto a relitively long toll up to turninning off towards Millau, toll free up to Millau then pay for crossing the bridge. Toll free to Clemont Ferrand then i think there is a short section up to the turn off for Moulins. Moulins to Troyes is all small villages and good A class roads then up to calais is 2 or 3 tolls. One day i will keep a record of what they all cost but i would guess that it costs 60-80euro in tolls going that way? Have to be careful in France these days with speed limits as there are more and more moblie speed traps around which can add to the cost considerably! 12 1/2 hours might sound a lot but as long as you don't take to long at fuel stops and keep the wheels rolling it actually goes quite quickly, also quicker than my Rocket III touring which we could do the same journey in around 13 1/2-14 hours- using a lot more fuel!
5000 miles in 5 days sounds an awful lot-i wish you well for it!

tweedy-bunch