Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Test Ride Report  (Read 6849 times)

Offline MikeDH

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vienna
Test Ride Report
« on: April 02, 2014, 02:13:37 am »
Went out today to demo a TTSE at the local dealer - in this case a pre-owned 2013 with about 3400 miles on it. It was fitted with the low seat, and even in the high position my knees were a bit cramped (I'm 6'4"). They had another bike on the showroom floor with the 'standard' height comfort seat, so they put that one on the bike I was testing. I went with the high position and, even though I was able to flat foot, for the first time I can recall I had to have my legs completely straight to get both flat on the ground. I was riding high, but still had no problem reaching the handle bars while maintaining an upright position.

The salesman apparently was not too familiar with the bike, so he fiddled with the controls a bit trying to figure out what the TES was set to and how to change it. I asked him to set it to 'normal' and off I went. The ride seemed pretty 'soft' so I was anxious to switch to the 'sport' mode. Turns out he had it set to "Comfort" and when I switched to 'sport' it was night and day. Not quite as nimble and quick as my Sprint GT, but for a bike that emphasizes touring, quite impressive. I reluctantly brought the bike back after about 40 minutes. While I still like my Sprint, the Trophy's ergonomics suit me much better, particularly for longer rides.

The dealer is asking around $17,800, which includes a new top box, heated grips and OEM tank bag - installation included. That figure also includes a 'processing fee', so essentially it's an out-the-door price except for title and taxes. I'm seeing better deals on Cycle Trader for comparable bikes, even taking into account shipping costs from more distant locales. I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on the pricing. I prefer to buy locally, of course, so I'll see if I can negotiate something closer to the alternatives. In any case, I expect that soon I'll be on a new (or slightly used) trophy. Only question is whether I keep or trade the Sprint.

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. Albert Einstein

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
Re: Test Ride Report
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 03:47:18 am »
G'day Mike,

Firstly  :400: to the Forum.

All I can say is the more you ride the TT SE the more you'll like it. I just sold my Sprint ST (after 12 months of TT SE ownership) as I wasn't riding it due to the fact the TT SE is so enjoyable to ride.

It sounds as if the bike is coming pretty well set up just make sure all recalls and upgrades have been completed (see discussions in the Forum) to the 2012/13 bike.

If you don't need to trade the Sprint GT for the TT SE then you may a have a decision to make in the future......

Cheers,
Scott
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:53:45 pm »
That price is kinda high, I'm sure you can find a better deal from a private seller.  The dealer may even be willing to take less, the price he quote is only the starting point.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 04:28:03 pm »
Is this the Launch Edition rather than just an upgraded Trophy?  If so, while the price still is a bit high, it isn't too far off.  If a Launch Edition tell the dealer that $17,000 is tops. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:28:33 pm »
Oh, and Welcome to the Forum :400:
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Wells

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Gainesville
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 04:31:58 pm »
Yeah... sounds a bit high for used. I picked up a launch edition with 3 miles on it in October for 17,900 down in Florida, fully loaded.
Other Bikes:
Honda 919
Honda CB750A Hondamatic

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 04:35:02 pm »
*Originally Posted by Wells [+]
Yeah... sounds a bit high for used. I picked up a launch edition with 3 miles on it in October for 17,900 down in Florida, fully loaded.
$17,900 for a new Launch Edition is an amazing price.  Of course if the bike is a true Launch Edition and still unsold in October then the dealer had been sitting on it for quite a while. Still you should get negotiator of the year award. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:37:12 pm by w8d4it »
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Cide1

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fishers
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:14:18 pm »
I can't speak for the price, but I will add in that the bike really grew on me over time.  I liked it enough to buy it initially, but I had some reservations.  After 1000 miles, and getting the suspension stiffness and preload adjusted correctly, I liked the bike a whole lot more.  I prefer sport mode to the normal, and I never use the comfort mode.  I adjust the preload depending on whether or not I have a passenger.

I'm 6'2" and used the low-heated seat for the few weeks that it has been cold, but find it pretty uncomfortable.  The Triumph comfort seat fits me way better, and puts everything at the right distance, and puts me further back on to the flat part of the seat.

tweedy-bunch