Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Accessory switch position not necessary  (Read 1592 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Accessory switch position not necessary
« on: April 07, 2014, 06:23:28 am »
Today, I decided to listen to my TTSE XM Satellite radio while I installed my Touratech GPS mount that took perhaps a bit more than an hour (but I didn't time it). It was also handy to be able to move the screen all the way up (at times) to install this thing. So I left the ignition switch on the entire time, with the XM radio on speakers with the volume up fairly loud.  My battery maintainer was disconnected during this entire time, but the battery was very well charged as I just came back from a 230 mile / 370 KM ride when I started this project.

Anyway, all the LEDS lights were on, of course, which included my added License plate mounted  LED taillight / brakelight.

In more than an hour of music, I never got a low battery voltage warning, never had an issue at all during this time. I also used the windscreen motor several times.

Anyway, the point I am getting at is:

We all know there is no accessory position on the key switch.    But it doesn't seem to be necessary.

If some are nervous about leaving the ignition on, AFAIK, that is not an issue since around the 1980's or so, in any vehicle any more. Even my 1984 Yamaha Venture (built in 9/83)  draws zero ignition current until the crank moves (it has an accessory position but it is mainly just to turn off the head light). IMO,  the TTSE  is as good as being on accessory with the ignition on. The LED front and rear lights don't seem to draw enough current to be concerned with and you will get a warning when the audio shuts off that the voltage is getting too low. But I never got mine to that point.

I see no realistic reason for the TTSE to even have an accessory position on the switch. Just leave the ignition on if you wish to listen to the radio or do other things on battery power. It won't hurt the bike.  I don't know if many would want to use it for more than an hour on accessory, but it looks like even that will be fine with the ignition left on "on".

-Don-   Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9