Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Coolant leak!  (Read 8394 times)

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
Coolant leak!
« on: April 07, 2014, 03:42:48 pm »
Well finally got the chance to try and put on some break-in miles this weekend. Only had about 150 miles on it and while I was letting it warm up in the shop, noticed a small puddle under the bike but it wasn't dripping for long. So I went out and put another 100 miles on it and when I got back it wasn't leaking so I thought well maybe it won't do it again. Low and behold I left it running for a minute idling and it starts leaking again. Dang it! Now I guess I'm going to have to pull the fairing and tighten some clamps. So my question is: Is there one clamp in particular that seems to be the culprit of the leaking that everyone has experienced? I noticed that it seems to be one of the hoses connected to the engine somewhere judging by the residue down the side of the engine by the oil filter.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Coolant leak!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:17:28 pm »
Hi atvtinker,

It might not be a leaking hose - See comments in the "HOW TO : Check the most common faults and issues
topic under "COOLANT LEAK"

It may be that your bike was just have been overfilled, or it could be an incorrectly fitted expansion bottle cap,
and both of those are easy to check.   :169:

If not then it could be a loose hose clamp, or clamps !

Members have not reported any one particular hose as being the culprit,
and as you'll have to pull the Fairing anyway, it makes sense to check ALL the hose joints are tight  :169:

A guide on removing the Fairing is available here : "HOW TO : Remove the Fairing and fit R & G Crash bars"  :028:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:29:24 pm by Coconut »

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 06:24:03 pm »
Sounds like the same leak I had.  Both hose clamps (radiator and engine) on that side of the motor were loose on mine.  Sorry, you will have to remove all the body work on that side to tighten the clamps. 

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:25:14 pm »
Thanks Coconut. I've already checked the website for all the possibilities and printed out your great write up for the fairing removal. Mine is definitely coming from one of the hoses connected to the backside of the cylinder head somewhere as I can see where the coolant residue (white water spots) is coming down beside the oil filter. I couldn't see the hose connected to the thermostat neck as there is too much stuff in the way to see it without taking off the fairing and I can barely see the hose connected to the lower block. So it looks like I'm in for a weekend of tearing this puppy down and finding out for sure which one it is. The one clamp I can see looks to be on the smallish side so I may buy some new ones and just replace them for good measure. I don't suppose you know how much more of an ordeal it is to take the gas tank off? I may need the extra space to be able to get the hoses to replace those clamps.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:27:35 pm by atvtinker »
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:30:46 pm »
I never got as far as removing the Tank, so can't offer any advice there, sorry.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:28:59 pm by Coconut »

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:20:05 am »
ATV,

mine came back from Hinkley after the head upgrade with a coolant leak. Local dealership managed to replace the offending hose and clamps just taking off the left top side panels not the full fairing or fuel tank.

Hopefully you will find similar.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:09:59 pm »
Ok, I finally got around to fixing the coolant leak. Sorry I didn't get to take more pics of the disassembly but it did require taking the gas tank off to get to the leaky culprit. The hose clamp that was loose was the one at the top of the head where the hose connects to the thermostat housing. Had the clamp been turned such that I could have tightened it up from underside of the hose it wouldn't have required taking off the gas tank. Just my luck! :172: Ended up taking the clamp off and turning it around so that next time all I have to do is just take the fairing off on that side and reach in with a long screwdriver or 7mm socket wrench. Here are some pics of the clamps and the bike with the tank off. Reminder to self: Drain the tank before starting this task! :157: I forgot I still had 5 gallons in the tank.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline woody

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sunny Swindon
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 03:51:50 pm »
Just for the record my ttse also came back from Hinkley (new head replacement) and sure enough 200 miles later coolent leak.its lost over a liter so far so its not an airlock issue and the rattle from the top end has returned at about 2800 revs. I do love this bike and triumph have been good on repairing various issues but its starting to p*ss me off just a little now I never had any problems with the jap stuff or my old daytona come to that! Ive got a feeling this bike is going to be a labour of love in its older years,
Nothing to fear but fear itself!

tweedy-bunch