Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Refueling  (Read 8393 times)

Offline dott

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Murrieta, CA
Refueling
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:08:06 pm »
Question to the forum.  When refueling what method do you use to fill your tank to the max?  For instance, is it best to put the bike up on the center stand or just on the peg?

I cannot seem to get my tank topped off but here in California we have the vapor return capture device on the nozzle.
What I have to do is sling the hose over my left shoulder, right hand pull the vapor return up the nozzle, left hand (Thumb) squeeze the nozzle trigger to fill.  Somehow just cannot get the tank topped off without a sudden gush (barf) from the tank regardless of how slightly the trickle of fuel from the pump.
I have tried other ways and methods but end up over-filling and spilling fuel.
The dang plastic insert keeps the nozzle from going into the tank other than a minuscule bit.

Maybe I need to turn around and bend over backwards, could that be the trick?

Anybody have tips or tricks on refueling?

Offline Leak

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver ;-) Trophy SE
  • City / Town: St Austell, Cornwall
Re: Refueling
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:25:40 pm »

You have different types of pump nozzles over in the US. Over here (UK) I put the bike on the centre stand every time I fill up. I did see somewhere on this forum a reference to some sort of attachment you can get to help with refuelling  :084:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:35:31 pm »
I don't bother with the centre stand.. I just sit on the bike and hold it upright while I fill holding the nozzle vertical with the tip in contact with the plastic lugs just inside the filler hole..
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:48:45 pm »
*Originally Posted by dott [+]
Question to the forum.  When refueling what method do you use to fill your tank to the max?  For instance, is it best to put the bike up on the center stand or just on the peg?

I cannot seem to get my tank topped off but here in California we have the vapor return capture device on the nozzle.
What I have to do is sling the hose over my left shoulder, right hand pull the vapor return up the nozzle, left hand (Thumb) squeeze the nozzle trigger to fill.  Somehow just cannot get the tank topped off without a sudden gush (barf) from the tank regardless of how slightly the trickle of fuel from the pump.
The dang plastic insert keeps the nozzle from going into the tank other than a minuscule bit.

Why worry about it. We have the VR nozzels here in Oregon too, you have to pull the boot back with one hand but thats no biggie. As far as filling it though, I lose a gallon or so in the top but I still get 200 miles on a tank.....good enough for me.
On a road trip I may put a bit more effort into topping it off.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:02:27 pm by Briang1234 »
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:23:43 pm »
*Originally Posted by dott [+]

Buy and use one of these. They work perfectly on the TTSE, even in CA, where I do 90 percent of my ridding.

Edit:I forgot to mention that you can do it the way the video shows, but on the TTSE you can put the McCuff on the filler hole first and then fill the TTSE just like a car. Just wait unit it clicks off and the TTSE tank will be as full as it will get.

I highly recommend this thing for any TTSE owner in any state or country. No, I do not have stock or other ties to the company. :008: It just works perfectly on the TTSE.

I am riding to past SusanVille, CA in a few minutes. 75F here today.

-Don- Reno, NV
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:30:55 pm by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:48:23 pm »
Sorry dott. In hindsight my reply wasnt really helpful at all. With a 6+ gallon tank you should be able to put 6+ gallons in it. It is kind of a pain of a tank.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline Oil change

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2014
  • City / Town: Ocala, Florida
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:31:02 am »
Had similar problem, now I put it on the center stand and get a full tank

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 02:38:00 am »
I fill on the sidestand, but it does take a bit more time to dribble the last 1.5 litres or so in the tank if you want to get maximum range out of it.  With some of the high flow pumps it is nearly impossible to get a trickle to fill up that last bit.  First time the fuel light came on I thought it was way too early, but it was because I had not filled the tank right up.