Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: The Final Insult  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
The Final Insult
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:42:14 pm »
I recently moved house and I am living in temporary accommodation while our new house is being built. I informed my Insurance Broker ( Devitt Insurance Services) that I had moved, and due to having no garage, I was keeping my trophy in my business premises. Now my business premises are a brick and steel unit with showroom and storage on a industrial/ retail park.

They then informed me that they could not insure my bike at a different address from where I was living, it was also suggested that I keep my bike outside in the street, then it would be insured. :084: My insurance policy was with Aviva, I was the served with a written notice to return my certificate of insurance as they would be cancelling it. Today I get a letter with a charge for cancellation
of insurance. I find that the final insult!!!

In the meantime, I contact another broker ( Carol Nash) and explain my predicament to them, no problem they say we can insure you, wait for it, the best policy we can sell you for this would be with, yes you have guessed it Aviva. So if anyone can explain to me why I get my insurance gets cancelled with one broker and an hour later gets accepted by the same insurance company with another broker, I would really like to know. :084:

Offline Jwayne

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Conyers
Re: The Final Insult
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:44:58 am »
They get to collect the bill for the cancellation fee.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:58:50 am »
*Originally Posted by Bluebird [+]
They then informed me that they could not insure my bike at a different address from where I was living,
Seems rather strange to me. If one owns several homes, with vehicles at each,  how does that work?

Or if one rents a garage several blocks  away from where they live? That is very common in San Francisco.

Here in the USA, we insure and register NOT for the state we live in, but for where the vehicle is normally parked. I have some of my vehicles with NV plates, and some with CA plates, including motorcycles. So here, we may live in one state and insure and register in another, but the insurance and state MUST match and that should be the place where it is MOSTLY parked.

OTOH, a driver's license MUST be ONLY from the state mostly lived in (IOW, the primary residence). I live about 50% between CA and NV, so I have to deal with this type of thing often, but for now, I have my CA home as my primary residence. I could fill out some paperwork and then make NV my primary residence, which would be my only way to get a NV driver's license. Then I would have to surrender my CA driver's license. But none of this would affect the vehicle registrations or insurance  in any way. Here, the insurance rate goes by the vehicle registration.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:03:39 am »
*Originally Posted by Bluebird [+]
Today I get a letter with a charge for cancellation of insurance. I find that the final insult!!!
I don't see how they can do that if they cancelled you. You were NOT the one to cancel, they were. They should pay!

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:00:19 am »
Here it is the place where the vehicle is normally garaged for registration. Insurance is similar, but they do ask questions about how secure the location is.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 07:46:26 am »
Hi Bluebird,

That's ludicrous  :157:

As they obviously CAN insure your bike at the New temporary location,
what they should have done is calculate whether there is any change in risk,
and if appropriate apply an extra fee to cover any additional risk,
plus ( possibly ) an Admin Fee for the variation to your original Policy  :169:

WRITE or email to Aviva and complain.

Tell them you do not intend to pay an Administrative charge for Policy cancellation,
and that you want a REFUND of the unused portion of your original Policy,
which THEY are cancelling for no good reason,
as they HAVE agreed to insure your bike through a different broker !

If they don't agree, complain to the Insurance Ombudsman.

Out of interest, was there much difference in price between Devitt' s and Carole Nash ?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:48:35 am by Coconut »

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:58:37 am »
 :233: Insurance, solicitors all come under the same mould. :233:

Sorry to hear your predicament. have you tried Triumph insurance or your own contents insurance on your business property.

I am with Carol Nash at present but since the two bike shows I went to I am looking for a quote from Principals and Triumph.

Are you insured when you take the bike on a run and stay overnight.

I would be more inclined to insure for outside my house and store it in my storage unit with a big ground anchor where it is less likely to be tampered with or nicked.

seadog
seadog

Offline Leak

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver ;-) Trophy SE
  • City / Town: St Austell, Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 08:27:56 am »
Hi Bluebird,

It all depends on how you pay your insurance (up front or monthly) reference the cancellation fee ! As the broker would have to pay the insurance company for you in full, so say you have only had the policy 6/7/8 months and paid monthly they will be out of pocket (I know poor them) hence the fee . I was with MCN and when I sold my Aprilia and bought my Trophy MCN would not insurance the Triumph as this was not one of their categories of bike that they insure.  I then had to cancel the insurance (rather than transfer details to the new bike) and they charged me even though I did not want to leave the Company but as they could not insure the triumph and I no longer had the aprilia I could not stay with them.  As it happens it has worked out better for me in the long run because now I am with Triumph Insurance - they have been brilliant, cheaper, and my second bike costs me only £60 fully comp and all the perks. 
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

tweedy-bunch