Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: With or without top box.  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Gladiator99

• Trophy Member
  • Be the person you would like to meet
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph trophy
  • City / Town: Kelowna
With or without top box.
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:14:52 am »
Hello Riders!
As I am contemplating purchasing a new Trophy, I was wondering if the top box impacts the handling or performance.  My current BMW k 1200 LT has the rear box and it does provide a backrest for the wife, and lots of extra storage as well as a high brake light and a rack for more tie-downs.  I really don't need more storage as I don't do a great deal of long distance touring.  Should I invest the extra 1200 or whatever it is for this item??
Thanks,
Jim :187:   :821:
PREVIOUS RIDES:
1953 Ariel 350  1970 Norton Commando  1975 Honda 250 XL  1977 Kawasaki 1000 LTD
1984 Honda V65 Magna 1989 Yamaha Venture
2006 BMW K1200 LT

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: With or without top box.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:42:42 am »
*Originally Posted by Gladiator99 [+]
Hello Riders!
As I am contemplating purchasing a new Trophy, I was wondering if the top box impacts the handling or performance.  My current BMW k 1200 LT has the rear box and it does provide a backrest for the wife, and lots of extra storage as well as a high brake light and a rack for more tie-downs.  I really don't need more storage as I don't do a great deal of long distance touring.  Should I invest the extra 1200 or whatever it is for this item??
Thanks,
Having the top box gives you a choice to use it when you want. It's easy to remove and put back on.  If it is used correctly, it won't affect handling and performance a noticeable bit.  I find the extra storage to be handy even for day rides. Such as put your helmet or jacket in there when stopped for a while. Anyway, I purchased my TTSE new with every Triumph accessory they make. So my vote is to buy it and then decide how often you wish to use it.

I don't know what it cost, but only you can decide if it's worth it to you. It is to me, and I don't even know or care how much I paid for it.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Jwayne

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Conyers
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:28:38 am »
When i first got my bike a never road with the top case because I didn't like the way it looked. Now, If I am just riding in town I ride without the side cases and with the top case on. I don't think the top case effects the handling at all. I don't notice the weight at all with just the top case. I do notice the additional weight with the side cases on if though its lower.

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:02:25 am »
*Originally Posted by Gladiator99 [+]
Hello Riders!
Thanks,

There are a lot of options out there for top boxes, other then the Triumph box. Just sayin'.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:04:27 am »
I had a top box on the ST1100 for quite a while, but never used it much as I could feel an adverse effect on handling and in windy conditions. I went back to a rack and bag system.  On the Trophy I have to remember whether the top box is on the bike as even though it is heavy even empty, full of all the junk I cart around unnecessarily does not seem to affect stability and handling.  When on a tight twisty road I have to pull myself up a bit because it is a heavy and wwhen you are on the edge of the tread it would take some rding to catch it if it broke away (I have not found that limit yet!)

Lockable waterproof storage is great.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:40:09 am »
The top box won't affect the handling unless you overload it.  As for usefulness I wouldn't be without.  I have had one on my 2001 Sprint 955 ST since new and have found it to be a wonderful accessory.  When I bought my 2011 Thruxton I came to quickly realize how much I missed having some place to store my stuff when riding (other an my backpack)
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophy4me

• Trophy Pro
  • ride safe (Harley, Dylan, Milo.)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: grimsby
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:49:18 am »
Hey Gladiator99

Buy the top box :047:
trophy4me (Andy)

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:00:32 am »
G'day Mate,

Go for it for all the obvious reasons. It's 'easy as' to dismount if you don't want to ride with it, but earns brownie points with the missus when you're two up travelling. No noticeable difference in handling as well.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

tweedy-bunch